Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Known issues between MetaFrame XP and Office XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2447

MIS
Nov 5, 2002
US
Any known issues between Metaframe XP and OfficeXP that would cause user sessions to freeze and we have to kill there Explorer, outlook, and winword processes?

We have had similar problems and so far have come up a bust on finding any info. I'm also anxious to hear what some of the guru's out there have to say about this.

Do the programs still freeze if you just use a Terminal Services connection?

This doesn't look like a MetaFrame issue on the surface.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

We haven't tried because other people (and from our experience) tell us not to connect to a Citrix Server via RDP. It has caused us serious problems in the past

I can't see why - I do it all the time to prove various things.

But that's only my experience :)

What sort of problems? CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Sometimes at the same time an Admin logs on RDP another user will hang. My coworker also read a document about it but I'm not sure if it was resolved. This was occuring when we were running MetaFrame 1.8 never tried it in XP

I'd guess that an RPC might not be satisfied - ie a non-existent mapped network drive, or file access failure that isn't giving a timeout.

You could try experimenting with Filemon, from - but out of hours; try logging in as a user that regularly has this problem, and just use the programs until the symptoms appear. The user may be able to tell you specific actions that seem to cause this to happen.

Does this typically happen to just some users, all users, intermittently or frequently? CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

You are obviously working with above average users if they can actually explain their problems :). The problem isn't consistant at all the person could have just logged on and been working for 10 - 15 minutes and their session just freezes. If we restart their Explorer and Winword process everything comes back just fine.

I had a problem in the past with Office XP hanging. I had to disable a few things like Alternative user input etc. (All the options under XP that users will never need). Don't know whether that will help you.

Do you know where you found that information. We've disabled lots of things, like the automatic spelling and grammer check in word and using word as the email editor for outlook, but we're still having issues with Word. If you could point me to some documents or something, that'd be great.

Yes, the magic key is Outlook and winword. Check to see if the user is using Word as their email editor, if you change this, the problem will disappear.(Usually)

I typically set the email editor in a policy, so that all users use plain text or rich text.

That is an option that we've already checked. This was a problem for us, but we were able to fix it just as you described. We are still having some issues in word itself. It's been difficult to narrow down the exact problem in word. I know that whenever something does go wrong, the entire session is slowed until the problem is resolved. Sometimes the user can wait a bit and it'll clear up, while other times they must log off and back on to get some speed back.

Norton Anti Virus is widely known to cause similar issues.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

We don't run any antivirus software on our servers. But thanks anyway.

How do I change the WinWord as the editor for Outlook. I want to globally change all Citrix Users to Rich Text

On an individual basis, open outlook, then go to options. Choose the mail format tab and there will be a check box for using word as your email editor. Simply clear that check box.

We know how to do it individually how about globally???

We just had another client that experienced this slowness problem. I logged in as administrator and killed her word application. It was still slow. I also killed outlook and 2 terminal emulation programs that we use with no help. Before it was over with, I had killed everything that could be killed, minus explorer.exe, with no luck. I killed explorer.exe and once it restarted itself, the slowness was no more. Everything responded normally. Not sure if this info will help any of you guys or not, but it is another piece of the puzzle for us anyway.

We've narrowed this down to being a problem with ica. We've had one client that was having most of the problems running on RDP for a week now and she's had no problems. Any more ideas on this guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back