Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knowledge management

Status
Not open for further replies.

premal13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
AU
i am little confuse about the various terms used by the different vendors to push thier products for reporting. i don't really find any difference between knowledge management and OLAP or any other decision support system. can someone please tell me what exactly is the difference and how knowledge management will be useful for decision making.

regards prem

I consider the terms "Decision support", "Knowledge Management" and "Business Intelligence" as buzzwords that could be used to describe just about any reporting tool. OLAP can be more easily defined, but provides similar functionality. It all boils down to analyzing data and reporting it.

You might try putting the vendor sales teams to work to highlight the true differences. Tell salesrep A that his product seems identical to vedor B's product. Ask for a concrete list of features that distinguish his product. Then take that list to salesrep B and get a response. Repeat as necessary until you get the bottom line. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

well i got a bit clear idea about the knowledge management. but i am little confuse about the terms they use. i don't agree on certain terms. the other day i was talking with one knowledge management vendor and he was trying to tell me that organisation has some knowledge. its called organisation knowledge. he was trying to explain about the data and the information as the knowledge. well i think its just the data that resides in the database of the organisation. these vendors they tell them the knowledge. well then what about the information that is collected and then put it in the database and its transformation in some decision mkaing process. or they are just trying to sell their products in the different ways??

regards prem

Words can mean different things to different people. I am sure the vendor is more interested in selling you a product, than he is in sharing his philosophy. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back