Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knowing when in Text or Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubeng

Programmer
Sep 1, 2009
US
I need to release JCL from online program. Need to know to release Test JCL or Production JCL. Any system ID I can test?

You can always use EXEC CICS ASSIGN SYSID() or EXEC CICS ASSIGN APPLID(). Most shops have a naming standatd with a P or T in one of the positions.

But changing behaviour depending on which region you run in is always a bad idea - how can your testers sign off on something they have never been able to run? Maybe you could change the program, and then change it back? What kind of test is that?

The best option is to minimise your JCL to a few lines that invokes a procedure (with a parameter for &ENV), and keep it on a VSAM file or database table that your program can read. The procedure gets stored on your PROCLIB, and hence can be changed at will without modifying your program. In this way you can have production/test/UAT versions of your VSAM file or table, and your program always remains the same and is not dependent on where it is running. It also means you don't have any hard coded JCL embedded in your program.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Used EXEC CICS ASSIGN APPLID()and it worked.

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I know it works.

My point was that it's NOT a well architected solution, and it's not testable.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back