Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Know a good program to reduce memory leak? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfusion

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
I find that many programs,especially in my case Soundforge, don't free up allocated memory when closed. I know I can re-start the computer to clear this, but it's a pain. Does anyone know of a good program I can run to do this automatically? (system-win.98SE P600) Thanks,Andy.

Just enable MS Windows Scripting Host (Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, Windows Setup tab, Accessories category, second from the bottom.
Open Notepad, and copy the following into it, and save it as "freemem.vbs" including the quotes!
FreeMem = Space(120000000) For 256 MEg of RAM or more.
FreeMem = Space(90000000) For 128 meg-196 meg.
FreeMem = Space(48000000) For 64 meg-96 meg.
FreeMem = Space(20000000) For 32 meg-48meg.
Put it on the desktop, or in the quick launch bar, and hit it once every hour or so. Takes a few seconds to run, but will free up the specified amount (or the closest to it possible) for use by new applications.
You could also put it into the Task scheduler to run once every hour or so.
Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Any solutions, Jim?
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

You have a point, Comtech!

There's really no benchmarks on any of them, more like just a feel you get. Really thinking rebooting once a day is best.
PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Just to expand on the problem, I run 512Mb pc133 RAM-OK, seems excessive-but some of the .WAV files I work with may be 80Mb in size. I edit one, save the file and close, but the RAM remains allocated. Obviously, do this a few times and it's not long before we enter swap file. Not a real problem with modern hard drives but surely unnecessary? Cheers, and thanks for your replies-Andy.

I tried Jim's solution in Win98 ver.2, but it did nothing. Did I miss something?
1) MS Windows Scripting Host was already enabled.
2) I opened Notepad, and copied the following into it:

FreeMem = Space(48000000)

3) I saved it as "freemem.vbs" including the quotes, which created the freemem.vbs file.
4) Placed it in WINDOWS directory (Does that matter?).
5) Put an Icon for it on the Desktop.
6) Rebooted.
7) Opened & closed HP Scanner, Word 97, IExplorer, reducing my resources from 75% to 66%.
8) Double-clicked the freemem icon. The computer did something. Waited a few minutes, but nothing changed.

I tried Comtech's solution but I hit upon a problem (I get this memory problem too occasionally).

I get a Windows Scripting Host - Script execution error
Category Microsoft VBScript compilation error
Description - Expected end of statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back