Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

knoppix linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmorgan1

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
CA
I've recently gotten a copy of knoppix linux, i've ran the live feature several times and i'd like to fully install it on my HDD so i can learn it better, question is can i setup my computer to have a dual boot, with linux and win2k, what i'd like to have is when i reboot to get the option to choose what o/s ,

Is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, keeping in mind that i'm very new to linux, and don't know how to navigate it very well,

No problem...

Assuming you have your partitions set up, and windows is on your first partition and you are installing Linux on the second partition. Please remember that I am running from a slackware install, while lilo will work the same for both (mostly), the slackware install has a section that helps you configure lilo. I don't know what Knoppix does for you. For that reason I will assume Knoppix does not help you at all and you have to do this from the command line.

1. Install Knoppix on partition 2
2. If knoppix starts asking about lilo - install from there

Knoppix did not ask about lilo:

1. Open the file /etc/lilo.conf
2. edit it to suite your booting needs
3. type "lilo" at the command line

I don't have linux on my work computer so I can't be *really* helpful but this page has the default slackware lilo.conf (for my computer) and the mods I had to make to it (for an example):

Here is a copy of the manual page for it, it will have all of the options and parameters you can set:

If you are still having trouble when I get home from work I will give you my lilo.conf and a little more detail from my home computer (which is running linux).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back