Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KMS server for W2K8R2/Win7 clients 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
I've never found a good explanation of how to set up KMS. I've even seen a post on here with 2 replies - both contradicting each other.

Here's our scenario:
2x W2K8R2 DCs. KMS has been set up on one
900x XPSP3 clients. Soon to be replaced with Win7

Output from slmgr -dlv on the DC is:
Name: Windows Server(R), ServerEnterprise edition
Description: Windows Operating System - Windows Server(R), VOLUM_KMS_R@_B channel........
Current Count: 10 etc etc (this will be our 10 W2K8R2 servers)

Do I run
slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
where that is the code for Win7?

I've seen someone say you can only have one code on at a time but another say you can run that command (followed by slmgr -ato) for any codes you have.

Can someone please clarify?

Bump. Does the lack of response mean no one really understands how KMS works?

You applied the highest code that applies to your setup.

So if you run Windows Server Std then apply this key to the KMS server, if you run Enterprise Edition then apply that key or if you have Datacenter running on your network then apply the Datacenter KMS key.

As far as im aware Windows 7 is at the bottom of the chain so apply the highest edition of server you have to the KMS server this should activate your windows 7 machines for you.

If your windows 7 machines currently wont activate then you havent hit the min count which if i remember correctly is 25 for Windows Clients.

Also if your planning on deploying Office 2010 this also activates against KMS but you need to download and install an Office KMS host licence pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back