Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KIX32 Error...dropping @HOMEDIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2000
US
Hey all,

I've just recently implimented a KIX32 login script throughout my NT4 domain (all NT users w/ local profiles). My script runs w/out errors 90% of the time. 10% of the time, it will map the users home directory share (H:\username$) and then drop it when the script finishes. The kix32.exe and default script are in the netlogon directories on the DC's and like I said, it works most of the time. This issue jumps around to random users and is usually resolved by a full reboot. I've tried using both command lines USE H: @HOMESHR and USE H: @HOMEDIR and there are no other drive mapping conflicts. Any help would be GREAT!!!
TIA, Dreux

Doesn't sound like it's KIX causing your issue, it sounds to me like you have network congestion. I reccomend checking your network segments for traffic, and I'll bet this only happens when most users are logging on at nearly the same times, IE Morning, change of shift, etc... I would also bet that it almost never happens in the middle of the day when only one or two users could be logging in. you may want to look at the fact that only one of your servers is picking up the logon requests for the entire domain, and as such only one server is processing the logon script. This will cause what you are seeing, you will loose some or all or your mappings in this way. If you encounter other issues or have more information I would be glad to help you. Just post away and we'll see what we can figure out.

Good Luck
SteelDragon

Thanks for the info SteelDragon...I've taken the home share commands out of the script and am letting NT map their home directory on it's own (via Home Directory path in usrmgr). It still drops it on occasion and it's not necessarily @ peak hours. I would go along w/ the network idea, but I would also expect it to not run the script all together, or drop random drives. In addition, why does it only drop their home share? The script is mapping about 4 other drives and checking for user groups as well? I do have two servers processing logins and they are definitely sharing the authentication process. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help?
-Dreux

You could try to use the /d (debug) option in the kix login script. It should help narrow down what is causing the problem. You will have to hit an enter key to step through the steps of your login script so I hope it's not to long.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back