Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Killing old DNS Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
CA
Hello to all....

I've got an issue here. I've got MS Server 2003 running DNS.

When a user VPN's in through the Cisco VPN Concentrator, he does not always get the same IP address, which is no problem.

The problem that I have is that if user A logged in yesterday, he got an address of 192.168.1.100. An A record was created in DNS

If he does not log in today, but user B logs in, he could get the same address (192.168.1.100).

When you try to do a ping of user A by IP address, and user B is logged in, you get a valid reply. Even if you ping by name, you get a valid reply as user B has this IP

We've set scavenging down to 1 day, but my question is, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Detroit

Is it necessary for your vpn clients to register in DNS at all? What services are you using, if any, that require this?

It makes it easier when using VNC or other applications by name.

I'm wondering what your dhcp lease is for that vpn subnet? If it's short (like 1 day), I could see that causing this problem. I would extend your lease so that it's longer than 1 day - that way nobody will get an IP address that hasn't already been scavenged from the DNS database. Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back