Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kill Remote Desktop Session Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

gharabed

Programmer
Sep 7, 2001
US
Question...I have a remote desktop session going where my client was abnormally terminated. Now when I connect via Remote Desktop, a new session is attempting to be started instead of reconnecting to my old session. In addition, the server has hit the limit of two concurrent terminal server sessions. I am using pstools pslist utility so I can see remotely that a large copy I had started is still going. How do kill my old remote desktop session so I can re-connect or better yet how do I re-establish my connection to my original remote desktop session?

From the Terminal Server:
Start-Programs-Administrative Tools -Terminal Services Manager. Right Click on the user and "Logoff".

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I don't have direct access the the server I am trying to connect to. I only have RD access or the ability to issue remote commands through PS tools and I don't have domain admin privileges. Can I remotely issue a "pskill" and kill a particular process that will terminate the session?

You can download the Terminal Service Manager from MS. I believe it is part of the 2003 admin pak. Then you can run it locally, connect to that server and then logoff the session.

Another option is to access another server on the same domain and load the terminal services maanger from that server. Then highlight the server you were logged on to then highlight the sessions and reset them.

you can also use the built-in TS commands to kill users sessions also;

1. Check for a list of running sessions by typing the following;
QUERY USER /SERVER:servername

This will list all current session on that server. Record the session ID for the session you want to kill. Then

2. RESET SESSION sessionID /SERVER:servername

This will close the user session. You can also use LOGOFF SESSION instead if you want to logoff the user. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back