Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyword search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cillies

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Hi all,

Does anyone know what I would need to do if I wanted to create a keyword search function within a microsoft access project.

I am creating a database to store various reports, with the end goal being, the user can open the database and search for a particular reports like: Snooker. The result should be a list of all the documents that contain the word Snooker.

I'n not asking for a complete solution, rather information as to whether I need to purchase other software or possible another program or application to effectivily complete this project.

Kind regards

Quering the MSysObjects table with a parameter
Code:
PARAMETERS [Report Name] Text(255);
SELECT MSysObjects.Name
FROM MSysObjects
WHERE ((MSysObjects.Type=-32764) And (MSysObjects.Name like '*[Report Name]*'));

Make up some rows in a table to store the reports definitions, headers, titles, footers, captions etc then use a coding system to identify each report and have a text box in each report containing the code. Instead of using labels use lookups to populate the report header, footer, titles, captions etc. Then you can have a description box that has a text description in the defining table, or use a child tabel with keywords in it. Simply then lookup all reports from the tabel having the string you want to find in the description or keywords and return a list of rows from the table rather than iterating through report collections etc. Thsi way you can even have some forms that enable a mechanism ot edit the report headers, footers, captions etc in a simple to use GUI thus avoiding the need for design time changes when you find you need a different title or caption for a report.

Troyston

Troy Vinson
Trading as IT Supportman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back