Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keystrokes Stored in Memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepheligenous

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
Hi,
I'm not an assembly language programmer at all, but this question (I think) relates to it. I had just created a document in MS-WORD 2002 (quite a long document, too) and a friend of mine was reading it. He closed MS-WORD without saving so I lost everything I had written.

My question is: were all those keystrokes stored in RAM somewhere? If so, whereabouts in RAM were they stored? Would it be possible to "retrieve" a file that wasn't saved? It's not that I want to retrieve what I lost, it's just a hypothetical question.

Any help would be appreciated!

Correct.

The keystrokes were stored in memory.

The chances of you recovering any of them in a Windoze system approaches zero.

However, Word does create temporary files so you might be able to find the temp file it created as you typed the document in.

rgds
Zeit.

you got the star dude cause I just had the opportunity to search the temp files to recover a lot of work I had thought I had lost. I inadvertently did a quick exit from windows and I had not saved the doc. I remembered your post and it saved me a lot of grief. thanks bunches.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back