Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keycode required 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutalis

Technical User
Jan 15, 2007
CA
Recently had a client with a BCM50 (3.0)have their system loose its key codes TEMPORARILY. For two days no calls in or out and when they pressed an intercom key they got the error tone and message "keycode required". By the time it was reported and I got there everything was normal again. Found the following event codes:
event 623- internal software activation error

event 705
event 379
event 380 - could find no mention of these events in documentation. Anyone know what these codes mean?

Your thread should really be on the BCM forum at

To answer your question is going to be tricky. It sounds to be as if your hard disk failed or was corrupted. You may have the old Maxtor 40 Gig hard drive which tends to fail.

I would spend your time doing a backup A.S.A.P and also have a USB stick plugged in with a Monthly USB Backup scheduled to enable you to rebuild it again if the disk totally fails.

The backup file also contains the keycode file!.

I could not find event 705, 379 or 380 either.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Thanks for the quick reply Firebird Scrambler.

Here is the description for events you listed:
Event 379: System initialization failed
Event 380: Network initialization failed
Event 623: MGS shutting down due to a fatal error
There are no events defined above 683 - are you sure about the 705?

I agree with Firebird Scrambler that backing up to USB is a very good idea (you should do it ASAP). Something on the client's system is getting unreliable (and usually it's the hard drive).

Good luck!

Are you looking at Element Manager/Admin/Alarms? and no description showing?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

ucxguy, It sounds as if you have a later list of all the events than I have. Is there a chance that you could kindly upload a copy please?.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Actually, I found the event 705 defined in release 6:

Event 705: Duplicate IP address detected on initialization of interface. The interface name will be provided.
Problem Resolution: Check your network to ensure no other devices are using the same IP address as this system. If the interface is configured as a DHCP client, then make sure that the IP address assigned to this system by the external DHCP server does not conflict with an existing IP address on the network. If this does not solve the problem, then perform a reboot.

Effectively, the BCM50 did not come up properly because another device on the LAN was using the same IP address that is configured for the eth1 adapter on the BCM50. With the device removed/powered down and the BCM50 restarted, the system would resume normal operation.
This typically happens when the BCM50 has a static IP address that is included in the IP address pool managed by the DHCP server on the LAN. There is no problem until the DHCP server assigns the IP address used by the BCM to another device... Another possibility is when BCM uses DHCP to get an address, the device with the DHCP server is restarted (typically the router on the LAN) but the BCM is left running - the BCM's DHCP lease is stale and that can lead to a conflict.

The good news is - the hard disk on that system is most likely good. [smile]

Firebird Scrambler, with regard to event definitions, I used an image viewer to open the BCM50 hard drive image to take a peek at the file that defines all events. The file is located on the third partition - the name is /nn/etc/DiaLoggerTaxonomy.

I see that the event 705 for BCM450 R6 that I looked at is different from 705 for BCM50 R6 that you used. In other words, event numbers appear to be release specific. To be sure you have the correct event info, you should look at the file included with your specific release.

I see what you mean, I see 623 on BCM50 rls 6 is a Stun Server issue vs an MGS error on Rls 3.

We need to make a book in that case lol

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back