Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keycode For IRAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRight

Technical User
Sep 23, 2004
CA
Greetings all!

When one wishes to add an IRAD activation keycode to a CICS, one must capitulate the system I.D. in order to generate the key.

Question.

Is that generated keycode written to the CICS KSU or the software cartridge itself.

Reason for Question:

After such a keycode has been added to a CICS, and the KSU and software are separated - for whatever reason - where does that key reside? Does it follow with the KSU or the software cartridge?

My understanding is that the KSU holds all memory whereas the the software cartride holds all functions and permissions - as it were.

Strange questions, indeed - but very important for me to be clear on the matter, regardless.

Your understanding is correct. The feature cartridge (software), contains the feature set for the particular version of software. The manipulated Customer Database (including keycodes) resides on the KSU of the CICS, or on the NVRAM cartridge in the case of the MICS.

That being said, there is no real guarantee that, in the process of upgrading to a different feature set in the future, the key will not be lost in the process. This has happened, and fortunately, Nortel has always been able to verify entitlement by System ID (which is in the KSU). Also, there is a method for moving the entitlement to a new KSU, in the event of a hardware failure.

I hope that helps!

BCMguy.com
www.BCMguy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back