Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keyboard & mouse not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
New situation, not sure where I should start on this problem. Have a system on hand with a Gigabyte i845 P4 motherboard & WinXP Home, and when I get to the logon screen, I can move the mouse around all I want, but as soon as I click on the username to enter in the password, both the mouse & keyboard stop responding. The system is not locked up because hitting the power button goes through the proper shutdown procedure. This happens in safe mode as well as normal mode. I have a Gigabyte i845G P4 board on hand, but the drivers do not work out and swapping motherboards causes a crash on bootup, and thus I cannot determine if it's a bad motherboard or bad Windows configuration.

Try rebooting and use the F8 key to enter either the safe mode or a DOS mode. I just finished repairing a system just as you have described. To cut to the chase. It appears to be either a virus or Malware. If you have the skill you can use the repair feature that is inheirent to XP to try and repair your system. I was working on this particular system and things only got worrse as I tried to fix it. In the end I reinstalled XP as a clean/new install.

Had the same problem... only solution I found was a clean install. I lost keyboard/mouse before I could hit F8 (or in my case flock F8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back