Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard/Mouse Driver Issue - How to Open System File

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAPPBC

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2006
US
Simple issue to fix but creates another issue!

I had a corrupted disk in which the System file was corrupted. This caused the keyboard and mouse issue to not work due to the corrupted file.

I can fix the issue by going into Recovery console and replacing the system file from the repair folder.

The reason why this does not work is because there is some information in the system file pertaining to my Sage MIP data engine configuration. Basically, I get the Service cannot be started because it is not installed. I then researched this and the solution is to create an instance using the logs and command prompt. This does not work due to the fact that the MSDE is like a bundled version with Sage.

Secondly, I do not have the MIP installation disk for the install in order to repair/reinstall.

Anyhow, I tried replacing the driver files for the mouse and keyboard to see if it would load. No luck which points me to the system file. I do not have a clean backup which really screwed me. I also tried uninstalling the device and restarting the server to see if it would work. No luck.

I bascially have 2 options:
1. Replace the config file and Obtain the installation cd and create a new instance
2. Find a way to open the system file and copy the informaiton to the newly created system file

I would like to pursue avenue 2.

If anyone has any information in regards to opening a system file that would be great!

Thanks,

I forgot to add one more solution.

If I can RDP into the server, I can correct the issue.

Does anyone know of a Network card that automatically installs with Win2000 Server? If I can do this, I can basically get the server up and running for the mean time.

hi,
what is "System file" you are saying ?
How can you have rreplaced driver (which) if mouse+keyb
does not go? By RDP? Are you sure there is not an HW issue?
Mouse and keyb are in the correctely connected?

Have you a bartpe CD (or similar) to test the HW,
or a diagnostic CD/floppy to test your box ?

All this, becouse I see strange your situation.

PS: I have not understood your last sentence about Network card

bye
vic

I started to answer your questions but when I got down to the last few, I started to ask myself if I posted in the wrong forum. Alot of the jargon used would be understood by a techie as myself.

what is "System file" you are saying? This system file is located in the system32/config folder. This file holds information about the installed devices on the server.

How can you have replaced driver (which) if mouse+keyb
does not go? Do not understand you. All devices need a driver in order to communicate with the cpu. msmouse.sys, msmouse.inf, etc...

By RDP? Remote Desktop

Are you sure there is not an HW issue? Yes.

Mouse and keyb are in the correctely connected? I dont know...

take it easy CAPPBC,
I just wanted know which of the tens of files and dir whose
name sounds so. When a person answers a post, he does not know the the skill of the other. What has appeared strange me was the link between mouse driver, Sage MIP, MSDE...
try with Microsoft, payd support, probably you spend money, but you can save irony about device driver. I am sure ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back