Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard is screwing up and changing part of the layout 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPYDERIX

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
CA
Hi there,

I am having a recurring problem that appears to be random. My keyboard seems to change it's setting from my regular keyboard to what I believe to be a french layout.

When I press ? it will show a É
When I press ' it will show a è

etc etc etc

Why does it do this? Am I somehow switching to this mode without knowing it. How can I switch back without having to restart the computer everytime. I have looked in my settings but Windows 7 seems to have moved everything. Can't find what I'm looking for compared to Win XP

Thanks.

NATE

Got a question? Search G O O G L E first.

It is likely due to inadvertenly hitting the hotkey combination (Ctrl+Shift) to change the keyboard layout. If this is happening frequently, you may just want to disable this hotkey combination from switching the layout. The following link explains where to go and change this option. The last post in the link explains where this option is in Windows 7.

- How to disable Ctrl+Shift keyboard layout switch (for the same input language) in Windows?

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

You should only set the installed keyboard layouts that fit your actual keyboard, and not install a French layout when it's actually US. You can combine US and US-International, set US as the default, and switch using the aforementioned Ctrl-Shift to US-International to get the dead-keys feature and easily type accented letters (quote followed by a vowel).

Thanks guys. What I've ultimately done is removed the Canadian Multi-Lingual keyboard altogether. I use that key combination all the time in Photoshop so no wonder it always seemed random.

NATE

Got a question? Search G O O G L E first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back