Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard holding system down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britech58

MIS
Jan 31, 2003
US
Does anyone have any information on this besides the port or keyboard being defective?

What do you mean exactly by "holding system down"? Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

And here all this time I thought it was possible to ski through a revolving door :)

Holding down a system -- is that it will not post/fully bootup with the keyboad connected but will when it is not.

I do tech support for a mix of home users and small businesses so we get a large volume issues and while trying to create forms for a keyboard this is a very in frequent problem but often enough to be researched fro our other techs.

P.S. have you tried snowboarding through that revolving door of yours, the shorter board might make the gap!

I do similar work to you and have run into this a few times, always a faulty keyboard in my experience. Note that I struck 1 keyboard that would work on Win 9X but not on XP, it must be more choosy...

Snowboards are definitely not in my job description... Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I have run into keyborads that are Manufacturer specific, will work on Compaq but not on Dell, work on Digital, but not on Omnitech ... I keep a shelf of old, 'clean' keyboards and just swap them out if they give problems Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

most likely a bad keyboard, but could possibly be a bad port. if a different kb doesn't do the trick check the port out. have seen this problem many times and only was attributed to the port being bad one time. knoweldge is power, spread the power

Additionally, if the keyboard is plugged into the wrong PS/2 port, many systems will not post. Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back