Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard generating wrong characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asender

Programmer
Jun 4, 2003
GB
Hi All.

I'm running XP Home.

Tried to log in this morning and discovered that my password was not being accepted at the log in screen.

So I logged into my kids logon and booted up Word. Typed in a few keys only to find that gibberish was being generated.

e.g. hitting the 'J' key would produce 'GLO]'. You get the idea.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Regards,

Asender

Unlikely, but does it look like any drink or water might have gone into the keyboard?

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Hi Grenage.

I'm going to say no.

None of the keys are 'sticky' and there is no sign of any thing being stuck.

I noticed a strange thing when I was in the kids logon. Outlook seemed to lauch itself.

I put it down to the random nature of the character being generated and me smacking away at the keys at first. However it happened again when I went in for the second time after changing the batterys in my keyboard.

Now I'm thinking virus.

Hi Asender

Might be worth trying a different keyboard before you look further?

Regards

Roger

Hi Rodger.

Your quite right. Dismiss the obvious first.

I'll borrow a keyboard from work and try it out.

Regards,

Chris

I seem to remember several years ago, a batch file doing the rounds that altered keyboard behaviour. Try looking for any unusual batch files or scripts

I agree to FIRST try a wired PS/2 keyboard, usually less than $10 and good to have around for PC testing or emergency use anyway.

Tony

Hi all.

Weird.

When I got home from work, the original keyboard worked fine.

I think the 'phantom spiller' is looking more likely.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards,

Chris...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back