Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard failure - strange startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaselbe

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
I have a Dell 8200 desktop which is about three years old; it has the original USB keyboard. I'm running XP. When I boot my computer, one of the first messages I get is "Keyboard failure," and then the boot continues normally. Just before the welcome screen, the keyboard wakes up and operates normally after that. However, since it doesn't work up to that point, I can't access setup, or GoBack, or any of those things I might want to do before the boot process is finished. I think this started a month or so ago after I moved and had to unplug everything, and then setup at the new house. I've tried plugging it into other USB ports on my computer (both 1.1 and 2.0) as well as into my 2.0 USB hub. Nothing changes, though. Everything else is working fine. I haven't added any boards or cards or equipment that might affect this. Any suggestions?

Thanks, but those solutions seem to refer to a problem where peripherals won't work: mine does, but there seems to be a sequencing problem. Also, a number of those solutions refer to installing service packs, but I am totally current with all service packs, so that won't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back