Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard entry of # character under Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I have a Clipper application which has been running in a command window under Windows XP. It has been transferred to run under Windows 7 (32-bit) still in the command window.

The application generally runs fine, but some keys do not work in the same way. For example the hash (#) key on my UK keyboard (immediately to the left of the <Enter> key on the right of the keyboard is interpreted as backslash (\). This did not happen under Windows XP.

If however I just open up the command window under Windows 7 and get the C:\ prompt, pressing the hash key correctly echoes the hash (#) character. It is only within the Clipper application, when executing a GET . . . command that the key does not show as intended. I am not aware that I have anything in my Clipper code which says <Keyboard US> or equivalent. And, as I say, the Clipper program works fine under Windows XP.

I realise that I could get my users to press <Shift> 3 (the Sterling £ character), but I would prefer not to require users to do this.

Would be grateful for any guidance on how to make this key come through to my Clipper program as the # character.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back