Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard and mouse lock up--resource conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogusBill

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2000
US
I'm running XP Pro on an Asus A7V600-X with 512 MB RAM. The video card is an Inno3D Geforce4 MX 440. My sound card is an Audigy 2.

Frequently, when I try to type in an application that uses a text field, such as Internet Exploder or MS Word, as soon as I enter the first character, the keyboard and mouse lock up. The PC doesn't lock up though, as I am able to shut down cleanly by pressing the power switch on my case (ATX PS). If I then boot up and un-install Webshots, everything is fine for a while. Then, maybe days later, it happens again. I can then boot up, install Webshots, and everything works properly again. [surprise]

I don't think Webshots is the problem (since the problem occurs regardless of whether it is installed), just a way to jiggle things around enough to get the system working again. I use an old version that doesn't load Gator, etc.

I have also updated the video, audio, etc. drivers, as well as the system BIOS.

I would like to know what a good strategy would be to help isolate this problem. I can build systems, but am rotten at diagnosing problems. It appears to be some sort of resource conflict, but I see no exclamation points in the Device Manager.

Can someone suggest a tack to take on this issue? Thanks.

Bogus Bill Rigdon
bogusbill@mindless.com

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.
-- Alexander Tyler.

There may be a missing registration for a key DLL.
Enable all options, and run IEFix as a starting point to resolving this issue:
It could well be a hardware issue, but my guess is a DLL issue at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back