Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kernel Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
IL
Hi to all the gurus

I am UNIX sysadmin in a Company that have something like 120 UNIX Linux servers, workstations.
We have in this company team that support database called “clearcase”
This database is updated maintained and more via network connection from some sites out.
Lately had been reported by the clearcase team that the performance of updates of the DB had been terribly bad. They reported that the CPU is reaching 100% by the above process. We decided to upgrade the machine resources for the CPU from 1 CPU to 2 CPUs we also upgraded memory from 512MB to 1GB
The problem was not solved.
The machine is sun WS ultra60
The operating system is solaris8 release 5.8
My question is as follow:
When I do this kind of upgrade in the above configuration do I need to make any kernel tuning update any system files or anything else to achieve better performance .did I missed something? Shell I edit /etc/system or any file to utilize the resources of the new hardware that had added ?

Thanks in advance

I take it the server 'knows' it has the additional resources? Assuming you have a support arrangement with clearcase, I would be quizzing them about settings and whether any special disk arrangements need to be in place to avaoid IO contention etc.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

KenCunningham Thanks

Well I need to handle this case one at a time.
I know there maybe more issues I shell take care of.
Maybe the problem is not system at all.
What I tried to ask is after I add CPU and RAM to take advantage of the resources shell I do any kernel tuning?
Shell I make any change to ASCII files?
Or maybe the only action the operating system needs (to supply those resources higher) is: the installation of the new hardware.
The question is general question and not at application level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back