Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

kernel not passing messages to syslogd

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveluxmoore

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
AU
Hi all,

I believe I have a unique quiry with the syslog and am wits end. Enjoy.

Given a logger -p kern.err "Hi there" command from super user and an entry in /etc/syslog.conf to copy all log messages to an indepentant log file, (I have also tried to /dev/console);

*err;*.notice;*.debug;*.info;*warning;*.alert;*.crit;*.emerg /var/adm/temp_messages

the message does not get logged. Please note that other messages eg, logger -p mail.crit "Hi there" work like a gem. It seams it is only with kern messages.

I've read some where that user programs can not send kern messages, so I'd written a simple driver to add_drv -v dummy_drv it. Still no kern entries in the log file.

I've tried booting the kernel (I might add it's on a Sparc platform) in verbose mode, eg, ok boot -v still no luck.

Any hints??

Not sure why it would be specifically affecting kern, but if the line you included was actually from your syslog.conf then there are tpyos in it which should probably be corrected, since I believe the . in the facility.level entry format is required for it to be valid, ie *err and *warning probably need to be *.err and *.warning

Out of curiousity, why explicitly log each level, surely *.debug would suffice as that will pickup everything above it?

Callum

Hi there,

You are right, I guess however, I explicity added all prorities for confidence building.

These typos are not reflected in /etc/syslog.conf. I wish that were true.

Cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back