Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kensington Expert Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

philrock

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
I'm in the process of migrating from Win XP to Win 7. I currently have 2 side-by-side computers with those OSs on them. What's holding me back on making a total commitment to Win 7 is that my Kensington Expert Mouse (actually a trackball) is not working smoothly under Win 7. I have been using the Kensington Expert Mouse for many years, and it is an absolute MUST for me.

At first, it did not work at all under Win 7, but using suggestions in discussion groups, I have been able to get 80% of the way to full functionality. I have to use a combination of Kensington TrackballWorks, and XMouse Button Control. Sometimes the computer boots without proper button assignments, and always, some of the operational details are not quite right.

In the discussion groups, I have read that Kensington claims to have fixed all the problems, and I have also read that those claims are false. All the discussions I have found are at least a year old. Does anyone know if Kensington has actually gotten the Expert Mouse up to the same functionality under Win 7 as it was under Win XP? Buying a new device is not a problem, if it actually does the job.

and it is an absolute MUST for me.
Sounds like you've done your homework on this and it may not fixable. Did you read this thread?

If I were you, I'd remove all "Mice" items in Device Manager as well as all "Human Interface Devices" with the keyboard disconnected. Reconnect keyboard. Then, I'd remove any mouse/trackball related items in PROGRAMS. Restart computer. Run CCleaner - both for temp files and registry cleaner until no more errors are found. The idea being to clean out the old first.

Shut down and attach a regular old PS2 or USB mouse and keyboard. Let the PC find them. Reboot and try a "solution" that someone says worked for them. Pay attention as to whether you should attach the kensington mouse first or install the software first.

OCD behavior will ruin your life such as not being able to move on to a different product. While not a technical solution to your problem, I believe from my own experience that forcing yourself to switch from the product (if no successful solution is found) would be very helpful for you overall. Also, think of it this way. It won't last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back