Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping wireless internet connection when connecting wired ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

swfl

Technical User
Nov 16, 2007
US
I would like to know if there is a way to stay connected to the internet via wifi (dhcp) while connecting a disconnecting my wired ethernet connection (also usually dhcp).
When I use the wifi internet connection for say sharing the screen or using a chat feature while working on a network device (modem, router etc.) I get knocked off the internet when plugging into the device, losing my remote desktop or chat.
Any way to keep the wireless connection to the internet in windows 10? I set the wireless card as priority, still get bumped off though.
Thanks

Thanks, I was finally able to test out the instructions on hairlesssupportmonkey's link and it worked with my windows 10 machine. Changing the adapter metric settings I was able to console into a Cisco router and allow ATT to use teamviewer via wireless internet connection (my phone as a hotspot) and when I connected to a LAN port on the router the wireless connection stayed up and did not try to use the ethernet connection for internet access. That way the teamviewer session was not interrupted. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back