Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping up with the Joneses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Should proper names be modified when the plural or the possessive form is used?

Jones - Joneses:
everytime I read "Joneses", I am tempted to say "jonesez".

And how about:
The Jones's cat, The Joneses's cat, The Joneses' cat?

Proper nouns are little bit different when it comes to pluralization. Generally, you simply add an 's' to form the plural, unless the name ends in 's, x, ch, sh, or z', in which case you add 'es' to form the plural. You should never change the base spelling. For example, you would not change a 'y' to 'i' and add 'es' like you would for a common noun that ends in 'y'.
Common noun: candy ==> candies
Proper noun: Candy ==> Candys

That being said, in many cases you would do nothing to form the plural of a proper noun which ends in 's' with a hard 'z' sound. This is the most nebulous rule of all because there are many exceptions.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones ==> The Joneses are coming over for dinner. (exception)
Mr. and Mrs. Jamers ==> The Jamers are coming over for dinner.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Is "Joneses" pronounced "jonesez"?

That is how I would pronounce it.

For possessive:

The Jones's cat ==> correct
The Joneses's cat ==> incorrect
The Joneses' cat ==> correct

Whereas the first and third are both syntactically correct, the better choice would be dependant on whether ownership is shared or collective. I would use the plural possessive for shared possession, but singular possessive for collective ownership.

The discussion of collective nouns and their number (singular or plural) is a worthwile thread in its own right.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

As Stella did, I also had a post that didn't post...

However, now that CC has provided guidance, I have a question for CC: What about, "The Jones' cat".
Is that also correct usage?

I have written about Thadeus' possessions since old German grade school nuns beat it into me long ago.

~Thadeus

I would not think that Jones' cat would be correct, because I don't think that Jones is considered to be plural. The generally accepted plural form of Jones is Joneses. The possesive form of a singular Jones would be Jones's.

However, expanding on my previous post with Mr. and Mrs. Jamers, the Jamers' cat would be correct because Jamers can be considered plural.

I would write, "I have written about Thadeus's possessions ..." because I consider Thadeus to be singular. But on that score, only you can tell us for sure.

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back