Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping track of guests

Status
Not open for further replies.

TadyB

Programmer
May 21, 2004
US
Hey everyone.
I have a form I'm having trouble developing. It's for a swim club.
When a member enters, they need to check in. I've developed a simple form called Visits that keeps track of this. It is linked to the Member table where all member info is stored. The Visit table just stores the member and the date they came in. Simple.
My problem is member's guests. I need to keep track of them and how many times a each guest has come into the club. A member is allowed to bring the same guest in no more than 11 times per year. But they can bring in as many different guests as they want. So, I need the guests to be linked to the member, but I also need to link it to the visit table to keep track of the dates that guest came in. Seems like I would have to post to two different tables and I know this is going against a rule. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stacey

Can they have more than 1 guest per visit? If not, then 1 table for people with a lookup for type (member or guest) or an indicator (bln or member number) and a Visit table with memberid, visitdate, and guest id.

If multiple members. same as above but people table, visit table (nember, date), and a third with the visitid and guestid.

Thanks!
They can have more than 1 guest per visit. I've set up the 3 tables you suggested, but it's actually 4. I can't have the one table to hold all people...guest and members. I have my member table and created a guest table. Then I created a visit table and the 4th that holds the visitid and the guestid.
How do I set up the form? I need the user to be able to select the member to check in and if they have a guest, I need the user to be able to see all the guests that have come in for that member and how many times each guest has visited. I'm not sure how to get all of that to show.

thanks again,
Stacey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back