Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keeping groups automatically updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2002
GB
I like to create various distribution groups, one for each office and have it maintain its membership automatically using the "Office" field within the user object in active directory

EG when a new user account is created and someone puts "CityA" in the "office" field in the user account, I would like a process somewhere to automatically make that user account a member of the email distribution group associated with the office location

The process does not have be constantly running. Once a day update would be good enough

does anyone know the best way for me to tackle this

Thanks in advance for this

The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back

why don't you copy when you create a user?

we have around 5000 users and many change offices each day etc etc

have solved this with some vbs script

Query based distribution group in AD / Exchange with a custom filter is your best bet.

Neill

thanks for that

we do use that as well but the only problem is that although you can see all the users in the custom group for each offcie you cannot email all of them - which defeats the purpose of it

Huh?

I presume they all have e-mail accounts?

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back