Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keeping an eye on the users 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alt255

Programmer
May 14, 1999
US
I recently asked a question in a Tek-Tips programming forum and received a thought provoking reply. I am repeating the unedited posts to allow all members a chance to evaluate the discussion and share their thoughts.
Please excuse the length and the slightly technical content. I believe there are some important issues here. If your company hasn't already been forced to address them, I believe it probably will in the near future.

Alt255 (Programmer)

I don't ask a lot of questions in the VB forums but this one has me pretty stumped. Please excuse the rather long background introduction but I feel disposed to explain why I require certain information. Some of you might think that what I a trying to accomplish is quite despicable.

Every few days the IT administrator will poke his head in my office and say, "There's some pretty heavy network traffic in this corner of the world. What are you doing?" Naturally, I always have a legitimate excuse for transferring several hundred megabytes or having a dozen browser windows open at the same time, but it occurred to me that not all of our users would be so quick to formulate a good "reason". IT should be able see what is occurring on any given workstation without having to walk to an office and look at a monitor.

The solution occurred to me last week, under some rather unusual circumstances. Our Safety Director had been laid off on Thursday but he came to work on Friday and then Monday. He appeared to be in a bad state of denial and I assume no one had the guts to say, "Look. You don't work here anymore. Go home and get some rest!" (It was learned later that he just wanted to "tie up some lose ends" and make sure Human Resources understood the system he had created. What a guy!)

Monday morning the IT manager passed by my office walking a little faster than usual. I heard him mutter, “He’s surfing hot and heavy….” I knew exactly whom he was talking about. I never saw our former safety director again.

That’s when the thought struck me. I had been writing a custom browser to allow controlled access to the company Intranet and the the select few who were allowed that privilege). One of browser’s “features” allow it, under certain circumstances, to take a screen capture. It took me about ten minutes to pull some of the code into another application and install it on one of the computers in my office. Then it took about three minutes to write a small program and run it on my main machine.

I called the IT manager into my office and pointed toward both monitors. “See anything unusual?”

“No. So you copied the wallpaper off of this computer… So what?”
I had him open a window on the first computer and then look at my monitor. He was viewing an exact mirror image.

After I assured him that I hadn’t installed PCanywhere he played around a bit, looking back a forth at the two monitors. Finally, he said, “I like it. I like it a lot! How did you do that?”

At first I patted my own back, pretending to be the world’s greatest genius (he knows me and knows better), but then I had to admit to the truth. The first computer was running a hidden program that simply enumerated the open windows. When the number of windows changed, it captured the current screen and wrote it to a bitmap on a mapped drive. The other computer was running a simple program that used a timer control to periodically load the bitmap into a picture control.

I could see the gears turning and it didn’t take him long to realize the potential. We both agreed that it wouldn’t be a great idea to save the screen every time a window was opened (it could affect a system’s performance) or refresh the remote view based on an arbitrary timer value (it could bog down the network in no time) or use a mapped drive to store the bitmaps (it could introduce security concerns). We both agreed that it was a killer idea that only needs a few tweaks. We envisioned a form filled with thumbnails representing the computers on a domain of the network. Click one and the monitoring app would send a query for a new screen capture to the app on the workstation, load the bitmap and show the capture in a full-screen view.

Both of us had heard of software capable of doing the same but he had already researched the subject and concluded that the company would never be willing to pay for it. Perhaps that is why he was so excited to see me performing this relatively simple trick.

My problem is that, aside from querying a workstation by writing a file to it’s hard drive and asking it to save a bitmap to a mapped drive on the network, I really don’t have a clue as to how I can do this. There must be a much faster and more efficient way to do this using TCP/IP.

The network is simple but fast, Microsoft Networking, no frills. The Server on the “troublesome” domain runs NT Server SP5; the workstations are mostly Pentium class running Win9x (various editions) with one running NT WS. The programmer is running VB6 Pro on a Frankenstein collection of hardware.

If anybody can help this simple code-jockey enter the fascinating world of network programming, ASAP, please respond.

A plain black box
Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

SteveMeier (Programmer)

After reading this thread I had several mixed emotions about what was being attempted here. My gut instinct was to just bite my tongue. However, I feel compelled to share my thoughts. While this might not be a technical response to the original question, I feel that it deserves equal air-time.

The original author stated:

"IT should be able see what is occurring on any given workstation without having to walk to an office and look at a monitor"

This brings up a question of ethics. The first thing I thought of was George Orwell's 1984 book and Big Brother. My question is "Why should IT be able to see what's occurring on any given workstation?". What gives this group the authority to observe others working environments? Is this not an invasion of privacy?

It was also stated in the original post that:

"Every few days the IT administrator will poke his head in my office and say, "There's some pretty heavy network traffic in this corner of the world. What are you doing?""

Is this not the proper way to conduct business in a professional manner?

It also mentioned that something was mentioned about:

"He’s surfing hot and heavy…"

Was this information not obtained through OTHER means, other than watching what was going on, on the users machine? While probably not actually SEEING what the user was doing, there was probably enough evidence through Proxy or firewall logs based on IP addresses, machine names, DNS servers and site names and addresses to prove a case.

Should the people that work at clothing stores have the right to view others as they change in the dressing room to help protect themselves against theft? Should Microsoft be able to scan your computer for installed programs and use this information against a database to determine if you are a software pirate? What about tapped phone lines, bugged rooms or offices or hidden cameras? Is this not all an invasion of privacy?

Should IT be able to see the payroll sheets from accounting. Would it make you feel better if you knew that the guy you're training is making $15,000 more than you and doesn't have half your knowledge? Should IT be able to view information on the Presidents or CFO's machine to get hot stock tips? As an IT person, are we now going to be making decisions for other departments telling them how to do their jobs? Sure we might know that Sally is getting canned on Friday, but she's a good friend of ours, do we tell her before she gets the news from the company? As humans, will we be able to separate our personal feelings from our work based on the information that might be obtained throught such a tool? Which one will take precedence?

How should we feel if our lines at work are tapped, personal work email monitored as well as our Internet usage monitored?

Standard policy is that if you are speaking on a recorded line, both parties must be aware of it. The original post made no mention of the end user being made aware of the program running, so I won't make any assumptions here.

I work in the IT department, but that doesn't give me the right to know what you're doing on your machine. I feel there are other ethical ways around monitoring network traffic. The use of a firewall can tell a lot about what sites users are hitting, without actually seeing the screen. I feel what is being proposed here is the equivalent of your boss standing over you for 8hrs a days watching you open every program or window on your machine. Think about how you would feel if this situation was imposed on you (no one specific, just whoever happens to read this). Would you like it? Would you fight it? Would you sue the company for not telling you about it? Would you leave your job? What if all jobs were like this?

What about the jokes that your neighbor sends you or the adult internet companies that scan your posts in the legitimate news groups and send you advertisements in email requesting you visit their site? Obviously you have no idea who these people are, but try to explain that to HR when you get your pink slip. Then when you sue the company they bring out the screen shots and prove that you were engaging in unapproved work ethics. Now you're an innocent party that is charged as guilty. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words and the words used in conjunction with the picture can have varying effects on different people.

So my questions are; Is this something that we really want to pursue? How will it be managed? How will or could it be abused? What type of effect will it have on the company both short term and long term? What about short or long term effects on the employees?

I'm asking you to really think about this before implementing such a program. A program such as this has the ability to do a lot of irreversible damage in a short amount of time.

Just my two cents.

Disclaimer: This post is not directed at any specific individual or group or individuals or any company or group of companies. It is solely intended for conversational purposes only.

Steve
tribesaddict@swbell.net

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Legal issues aside, under what conditions (if any) can we justify the monitoring of user activities? Does IT have the moral right and responsibility to keep an eye on the employees?

Alt255
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

I'm assuming that we are also including email in the discussion.
Companies have the right to do this. As an owner I would insist on the right.
As an IT person I would refuse to implement such a policy unless directly ordered by my boss and it was a job retention issue. But I would fight the policy to the end and would do my best to inform the user population of exactly what capabilities the company had and what use the company would make of the info.
Comes down to the ethics of IT management and corporate management. I don't think that this would take place in any company where employees are valued and management thinks ahead more than the next months bottom line.
But we all have to be aware that there are unscrupulous employees in the workplace who would take advantage of any information gained, so even having the capability available is a risk to the company.
All this said on my part, I would have to make exceptions. But they would be in writing and signed by boss and employee. There are security issues, such as R&D, that can be compromised. And these issues must be covered.
[sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

I was thinknig of composing something smart bu I will just say that it stinks.
Such behaviour is realy only tolerable where a crime is suspected and it should be the police instigating such an action.
I do not have a clue were you would stand if someone took you to court for infringing on their human rights.
Personnaly I woud rather pick up my P45 than get involved with this idea, I would not want to work for such an employer. [sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Ged, I've been there and it isn't pretty.
Granted that it wasn't email or web pages, just a piece of carbon paper that was out of place. But I had been the last person in the office on Friday, and this was on Sunday. And it was my boss writing a letter to a competitor offering to come to work as previously discussed, and further planning on bringing all of the company's customers with him.
I had to go over him. He got fired. I didn't lose any sleep.
There are legitimate reasons why this thread is important. If you haven't ever imagined yourself in such an intolerable position, you haven't imagined your reaction, so when it happens you don't know what you'll do. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

BTW, just so nobody assumes I am a &quot;bad&quot; person working for a &quot;bad&quot; company, Steve's response clobbered me in a soft spot. I had just needed a good reality check and he provided it.

I have abandoned all plans to peer at the user's desktops but the issues remain open for discussion. Some companies actually use similar if not more intrusive software to monitor their employees.

This is a brave new world and technology gives us ample opportunity either to lose our humanity or to reaffirm it.
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

The fact is that when you work for a company you should know that they have the right to know what you are doing while they are paying you. While they are not paying you they should have no rights whatsoever, but if you are on the job then that is their right. Considering that almost no one brings their own computers to work with them, then anything you do is on their computers and they should have the right to know what you are doing on them. They also pay for the bandwidth you use when you surf the net, why shouldn't they know if your busy checking out information for them, or playing Starcraft on battle.net. Privacy should only be assumed when you are in a place where you assume there is privacy. You should assume that on the job that is just not going to happen. :p [sig]<p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@netadvances.com>jsauce@netadvances.com</a><br><a href= Yet</a><br>A+ Certified Technician[/sig]

Ed,
I assume you came accross the carbon paper byaccident or had been given dtrong grouns for investigating.
Or was it policy to search everyones desks, diaries, paperbins etc.
I have been there and I have stood my ground and my manager backed down. I have also played my part in catching some one with there fingers in the till, there is a difference.
[sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Stopped in the office to wash my hands after a rather greasy repair job. Carbon paper was wadded up on top of discarded paper towels in the men's room , which I had used on Friday afternoon as the last employee out.
Had the carbon paper been anywhere else I wouldn't have paid any attention to it. And who wads carbon paper up?
There was also an undercurrent of the boss becoming unstable but that wasn't involved in my decision to read it.
Several years later I was on the other end with the same company. They had between 25 and 50 reasons they wanted to use to fire me but I had every possible cause covered, legally and ethically, so they made up a reason and fired me anyway. That was my birthday present in 1973. So I started a repair business in competition with them and watched them go down the tubes 14 months later. And I helped them in that endeavor. My ex-boss had his feelings hurt but the people who had worked for me knew it was coming and prepared for the hard times. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
[/sig]

&quot;Companies have the right to do this. As an owner I would insist on the right&quot;

Yep.

&quot;..when you work for a company you should know that they have the right to know what you are doing while they are paying you..&quot;

Yep again.

Distasteful -- but a fact of life...
[sig]<p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Making mistakes, so you don't have to. &lt;grin&gt;[/sig]

Mike, Ed.

The best working relationships need to be built on mutual trust. I admit there are those that will take advantage and methods need to be in place to catch them. However people should be made aware that this is the case. [sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Mike,jsauce,
&quot;Companies have the right to do this. As an owner I would insist on the right&quot;

&quot;..when you work for a company you should know that they have the right to know what you are doing while they are paying you..&quot;

Mike you say that these are facts of life, i think you need to check your facts. Right now it is probably true that there is no law explicitly prohibiting covert monitoing of an employees workstation. As we all know this is a time of rapid expansion in the availability of information. Many of these information related fields we work in are still far ahead of the laws that will eventually govern them. Therefore the legality of these matters will for the time being be decided based on precedents that have already been set in similar cases involving earlier technologies. The closest analogy i can think of is a companies rights involving employees use of their telephones. Neither i nor anyone else would argue that a company does not have a right to monitor their phone bills to see if employees are making long distance or personal calls. Of course they do. Apply that precedent to our topic of discussion and it would mean that a company does have the right to use their firewall logs etc.. to see if their money is being wasted, as SteveMeier stated in his post. However companies DO NOT have the right and it is in fact illegal for them to directly listen in on an employees conversations without their knowledge.

jsauce, you said

&quot;Considering that almost no one brings their own computers to work with them, then anything you do is on their computers and they should have the right to know what you are doing on them. They also pay for the bandwidth you use when you surf the net, why shouldn't they know if your busy checking out information for them, or playing Starcraft on battle.net.&quot;

So why has this type of listening in on conversations been established as being illegal? If people are using the companies phones &quot;they should have the right to know what you are doing with them.&quot; right? But they don't and using that as a precedent for this case companies also dont have a right to directly peek at what you are doing on the screen from a remote computer.

Some people have also brought up good points about trust. An employee who always has the feeling someone is looking over their shoulder will never get anything done. The way to get great results from your employees is not to watch their every move, it is to hire carefully and not worry about how your employees spend every second they're on the clock. If an employee is spending all their time surfing the net, they cant possibly be as productive as they need to be. If someone is not getting the work done that you require of them you have a reason to fire them. And you didnt even have to spy on them.

This whole idea is wrong in so many ways. You should think about how much more stressful your work environment would be if you knew that someone could potentially be watching your screen every second. I for one would flatly refuse to work in that kind of environment. [sig][/sig]

I wonder how my employer feels about me following this post on their time :-0 [sig][/sig]

Ruairi said: &quot;So why has this type of listening in on conversations been established as being illegal? If people are using the companies phones &quot;they should have the right to know what you are doing with them.&quot; right? But they don't and using that as a precedent for this case companies also dont have a right to directly peek at what you are doing on the screen from a remote computer.&quot;

When a person uses a phone, they have something called, &quot;An expectation of privacy.&quot; When a person uses a computer, they do not have an expectation of privacy. They assume when they pick up the phone that only 2 people will know what is said, that person, and the person on the other end. With a computer, and the innovation of the internet, security hazards and networking makes this expectation of privacy impossible to secure. You must know that when you use a computer and it is in someway connected to a network, that someone could be listening at anytime. Since this is true you are not expecting privacy, or if you are You shouldn't be, since no real privacy exists.
Its not illegal for employers to monitor what a worker does on their computer, since there is no expectation of privacy.
>:):O>>:):O>>:):O>>:):O>>:):O>>:):O> [sig]<p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@magicguild.com>jsauce@magicguild.com</a><br><a href= MagicGuild</a><br>A+ Certified Technician[/sig]

Jsauce,
I dont know how you think telephones work, so i'll tell you. JUST LIKE THE INTERNET. On the internet information you send and recieve goes through routers on the way to the server you are exchanging information with. Your phone call is an analog signal only until it gets to switching station. It then becomes bits of information traveling across the telephone companies networks. At any point in its travels it can be intercepted, JUST LIKE THE INTERNET. Do you think that when the police obtain a warrant to bug your phone they have to break into your house and place a little microphone inside your phone's handset? They don't. The phone company is physically capable of monitoring, rerouting, etc.. any call traveling through their network. You're right about one thing, there is an &quot;expectation of privacy&quot; but it is every bit as &quot;impossible to secure&quot; as an expectation of privacy on the internet. That expectation of privacy comes not because a phone call can't be listened in on, but because it is illegal to do so. Just as it should be, and in my opinion already is by legal precedent, on the internet.

Since we've established that phone calls also travel over a computer network, can be routed, and can be listened in to at any point along the way then you should be able to change the word computer in your argument

&quot;You must know that when you use a computer and it is in someway connected to a network, that someone could be listening at anytime. Since this is true you are not expecting privacy, or if you are You shouldn't be, since no real privacy exists.
Its not illegal for employers to monitor what a worker does on their computer, since there is no expectation of privacy.&quot;

to the word telephone

You must know that when you use a telephone and it is in someway connected to a network, that someone could be listening at anytime. Since this is true you are not expecting privacy, or if you are You shouldn't be, since no real privacy exists.
Its not illegal for employers to monitor what a worker does on their telephone, since there is no expectation of privacy.

do you still think it's true? If not whats the difference? you say that because a computer network is not secure people cannot expect privacy. In fact neither network is secure, so by your own explanation of &quot;expectation of privacy&quot; a person has no right to privacy on a phone or computer.

[sig]<p>Ruairi<br><a href=mailto:ruairi@logsoftware.com>ruairi@logsoftware.com</a><br>[/sig]

Some good points, John. When we are in public we have absolutely no expectations of privacy. Our activities are monitored almost every time we walk into a retail establishment. Sometimes the cameras are in plain view... sometimes they aren't. A &quot;business&quot; perspective might constitute a similar set of expectations.

Members who reached adulthood after the &quot;sixties&quot; can skip the following paragraph. It may only serve to confuse the issue:

I grew up in a small mid-western town where there wasn't an expectation of privacy when making a telephone call. All of the phones were connected to &quot;party lines&quot;. Most of the time you had to interrupt a conversation to ask to &quot;ring the operator&quot; and then ask the operator to &quot;ring 47&quot; (or whatever party line you wanted to call). Then, depending on whether the call was local or long distance, and depending on whether or not the local operator decided to &quot;listen in&quot;, you could speak with impunity (but only if you were willing to take the chance).

Telephones had been available in my home town for several years but the technology and resources required to allow private connections were not available at the time. I believe the cyberworld of 2000 is lagging in a similar predicament: we can connect with any person in the world but, after all these years and technological triumphs, we are still conversing on a &quot;party line&quot; where practically anybody can &quot;listen in&quot;.

We are in the infancy of an era. Within a few years we will look back and wonder how we managed to do anything with the primitive technology, now at our disposal. We will wonder why we allowed our neighbors to listen to our conversations. We will wonder why our government didn't step in and regulate the whole affair. We will ask many questions....

John, I wonder if we aren't following the same line of thought.... Perhaps, at the very root of the matter, we wonder: at what point do I leave my personal identity and merge with my employer's identity? My employer owns the equipment and I do the work.

My employer and me may owe each other a bit of lattitude. Yes? No?

Q. If the employer owns the toilet cubicles can he put a camera in them?

[sig]<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Top man[/sig]

Point taken, Ged. There are certain unspoken agreements that bind the employer and employee.

Please note that some societies, where public defecation fails to raise eyebrows (they do exist), would see nothing wrong with cameras in the toilet stalls.

Ged Jones: Q. If the employer owns the toilet cubicles can he put a camera in them?

Answer: YES. An employer could do this in theory as long as you know ahead of time there is no expectation of privacy. You have the choice use the toilets or don't use them. If an employer tells you they have the software to monitor your computer and you know its being used then don't download porn on company time.

[sig]<p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@magicguild.com>jsauce@magicguild.com</a><br><a href= MagicGuild</a><br>A+ Certified Technician[/sig]

It seems to me the people who spend the most time fighting the issue of privacy at work abuse it the most. From the kid running parts for the Auto parts store to the person spending company time sending emails ( goofy faxes prior to the widespread use of the internet ). I was the owner of a small business with 8 employees. Trying to make payroll and all the other perks. Kinda makes you ill thinking of all the wasted hours that I paid for. Honesty and integrity seem hard to come by these days. [sig]<p>John A. Gilman<br><a href=mailto:gms@uslink.net>gms@uslink.net</a><br>[/sig]

Understand the feeling. I'm not fighting the privacy issue. Just proposing that monitoring be public, employers and employees understand what is expected, and no whining if you get fired for stepping over the limits.
But it is also a quality of employee issue, and that issue can be resolved in other ways. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back