Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keepalive setting and ping command

Status
Not open for further replies.

preeda

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
TH
Dear all,

I have two routers, A and B connected running HDLC protocol. The problem is that from router A I can not ping router B, eventhrough interface and line protocol up at sh int command.There is no ACL setting to both routers.

I was told by carrier to enable keepalive at router A Later the problem is gone. Anyone has any idea to this ??

Well, I have tried to put no keepalive back to router A, and the problem comes back again. I have no idea how this related. Please help !!

Thanks,
Preeda

Is your link A to B using IP unnumbered?

If so then which on interface did you enable keep alive?

All the `no keepalive' command does on an ethernet interface is force the interface to the upstate regardless of the real state. On a serial interface it depends on the line protocol etc.

We don't have ip unnumbered. The interface that I am talking about is serial 0. In this case, the line protocol still up, but can not ping the remote router not until enable keepalive. Again we are running HDLC between these 2 routers.

Thanks,
Preeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back