Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Windows Calculator on Top of Form Until Closing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
within my application there is a button that calls the windows calculator. System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("calc")

my question is, is it possible to open the calculator and force focus on it until the user closes it.

Thanks in advance

I would say: No.
And why would you want to ‘force focus on it until the user closes it’?

Let’s say I am your user and I need to calculate some values and place them into your app. The calculator opens, I can do some math, but I cannot enter anything into any application, including yours, because you ‘forced the focus’ on the calc. I need to close it, enter my value, open calc again to do another calculation, close the calc again.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

okay, maybe force focus is not the correct way but I need to embed the calculator into my main MDI form.

Out of curiosity,
What type of calculations will your users do (using the Window’s calculator) that you cannot do on the VB.NET Form?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you can find it - DSOFramer will enable you to embed Calc.exe in a Form or Panel within your application. If you can find it and decide to use it BEWARE - it was created by Microsoft as a .NET workaround for OCX - it works (I've used it in the past) but it can cause so many problems that Microsft pulled it completely from their webpages. Microsoft did document that it was unsupported and that it should be used with caution. I think that I was probably very lucky in that I had no problems with it.

Have a look here for a different method:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back