Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keep same session in terminal services

Status
Not open for further replies.

77zxmax

MIS
Dec 28, 2004
CA
Greeting
we are using admin terminal services (the built in)
and we have 2 accounts using it.. Lets say user1 and user2

now i want everytime user1 login , always be connected as session 1 >> the reason is for the printer -- everytime the printer name changes , the remote user won't print ,
eg: when user1 connect , the printer is mapped as hp on session 1. when user1 logs out and relogin later, the printer maps in a different name as hp on session 2

- i could make the printer work , we are using a program that only works on the printer name (great plans to be exact)

so my question is, how to make user1 always login in session 1 and reserve that session only for him ?

searched the web never found an answer,

thanks in advance

77 - Did you ever find an answer to your question?

I am having the same problem but with the Macola application. Macola will remember what printer you last used for a report but it remembers it with the TS session number appended to the end of the printer name. When you reconnect and get a new session ID and then try to reprint that report, it defaults the printer name with the old session number therefore it will not work and it will send the report to your default printer.

I either need to assign users sessions numbers (so that they dont't change per user)or somehow get the printers to create without the session number.

No Phil, i had no luck - still looking for an answer,if i do find an answer, i'll post it - you should do the same :)

if anyone out there has a similar issue please advice

77 - I still haven't found a workable solution I want to use.

Tricerat has a product called Simplyfy Printing which looks like you can configure how the printers are named. The product is used mostly for print driver elimination and looks like it needs a client install. Too much overhead for us to use, probably would be good for large companies with multiple TS who struggle with installing all of the various print drivers they need. This product eliminates the need for having print drivers installed on the server.

I also found some VB scripts that were written to rename the printers. Haven't been able to get them to work properly however, but it does seem do-able. A big problem with changing the name of the printers is you must be at least a POWER USER to have rights to change printer names, even your own. But the problem with making all users Power users is that then they see all of the printers, not just their own. Ideally, I'd like to have the VB script run on the console (as an administrator) everytime someone logs in.

After spending a few hours googling this issue, I found we are not the only ones who suffer from this problem. Hope that makes you feel better. (<:

I'll post back when we actually solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back