Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Quiet or Leave? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thargy

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
GB
I work for an abusive and overweening boss.

I am a DBA.

I have recognised one of our major DBA problems,and written software to correct said problem.

My boss, has (upon written threat of dismissal) insisted that I not only do what he says, but to it in the way he says. He has insisted that I follow his written instructions to the letter, and after such threats, I have done so.

Our databases are wandering into chaos, which I know about, but my boss and the test department don't. My software would correct the problem instantly and for ever, with guaranteed results.

Should I

a) Find another job?
b) soldier on, until the databases implode?
c) Bring this to his attention, knowing that it will likely lead to dismissal?

Any ideas folks?

T

Grinding away at things Oracular

Absolutely go get another job.
In the meantime, document, document, document. Follow his orders to the letter but make sure you keep the copies documentation of the orders someplace not at work. Especially the one which says that you must follow his orders on pain of termination. You may need these if things blow up before you get another job and you are wrongfully terminated.

I would also make sure my finacila house wasa in order and start putting as much money away as possible in case you get terminated.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

If your boss is not the top boss go over his head. You can send your explanation of the problem and it's fix along with the letter from your boss and let them know you are willing to leave if that is what they want. At best you will have a new boss, at worst you won't have to put up with the old boss.

The answer is "42"

Keep written track of each crazy request to keep your self covered. While doing this, go find your self a new position. There are plenty of places out there without crazy bosses.

After you find a new posision explain the issue to your bosses boss and leave. This will let the management fix the problem for the next DBA.

I would not recommend bringing this up directly. These kind of manager so not take kindly to having people go over thier head. The situation could back fire against your very quickly, and turn very bad very fast.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Tharg,

Sorry to hear this, it sounds like a nightmare situation.

Without knowing more about the situation, I offer this:

First, CYA – as SQLSister says, document absolutely everything, and take copies off-site.

Second, review – write yourself some notes to clarify the issue. What’s the problem, why is it happening, what is best practice (references), what is the accepted solution (references again). Is your boss qualified to judge these issues?

Third, decide on your options. As I see it, you have three options:

1 – Suck it up and do as you’re told – if it all goes squiff, make sure you’re covered.
2 - Fight it! But be prepared to be hung out to dry!
3 – Get the hell out! ASAP.

1 risks leaving you looking like an incompetent.

2 is a risky bid – it depends on your boss’s level of competence in the area of Oracle (is s/he a qualified expert, comparative with your expertise?) What is your personal perceived level of expertise/credibility within the organisation? What is the risk to the organization? Can you win? Do you want to stay? Can you discuss this, off the record, with someone else in the organization who can advise or help?

3 would be my favoured option – get out, keep your mouth shut, if they subsequently have problems, tough! (It’s not worth leaving a complaint about the way things are done – you just look bitter, and inadequate.)

However, a lot depends on your organization, the people involved and your personal needs/priorities.

Another thing to consider:

A written instruction to do things in a certain way, on pain of dismissal, could be deemed to be bullying (depending on your boss’s qualifications relative to yours). A lot of organizations don’t like the idea of an Industrial Tribunal – that’s a threat to hold in reserve, but I’d have a chat with your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau, just in case.

All the very best!!!!!

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

I can't stress the part about take your documentation offsite enough. If you are wrongfully terminated, you will not be given the chance to make copies of anything you haven't printed out and you may not be allowed to take out anything work related. You will probably have someone watch you pack up.

Remember do not discuss this situation with any potential employers in an interview. If asked why you want to leave say something innocuous like you want a new challenge. it is very tempting to say bad things about your employer when they treat you this badly; do not fall into that trap or potential employers will view you as a troublemaker to be avoided.

Good luck.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Folks,

thanks for the advice.
I can't use my boss's boss as they are big buddies (each attended the other's wedding), and my superior was specifically brought in at his request. The guy two levels up will look a bit daft if the guy brought in at his request gets something wrong, so he's sure to block any criticism, and as far as management are concerned, everything's wonderful.
Anything I say has to jump past the two of them, and at that level I'm looking at the CEO.

This seems to be a lose/lose situation for me, but one things for sure, after the bank holiday I'll take my instructions to a photocopier and move them off site. I'll also put my software onto a USB stick, so that I can prove that I have a valid solution.

Regards

Tharg

Grinding away at things Oracular

Tharg - I second and third most of the comments above.

And I would say - start looking now. Even if you find a shorter term contract for a wee while and take that instead.

Otherwise it'll eat away at you.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Tharg - that's an impossible situation.

Tart up your cv and start hawking it around. You're not responsible for the situation, so don't feel obliged to do something about it. Get out as soon as you can. If asked, give your reason as something neutral, like career development.

But you knew all that, didn't you?

Best of luck!

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

1 You are not management.

2 You have tried to do your job to the bets of your ability.

3 You have communicated to your boss all items which are within your area of expertise, and responsibility to administrate.

4 Your boss have given you specific instructions, which have been documented.

5 Your documentation is secure offsite. Emails cc:d to offsite email acocunt, verbals confirmed via email, and cc:d offsite, non email items copied and offsited.

6 I might consider recording meetings, phone calls, and severance meeting if it comes to that, as well as any further communication after such, which might tend to incriminate him.

I agree you are not responsible, but management gets to be management by playing the game, and many of them know how to play it very well, particularly the ones who got there through politics rather than job knowledge. So when you say "I am a DBA..Our databases are wandering into chaos," you can be sure that is exactly how management will approach it. It all depends on whether the person in charge believes that:
1. You are the DBA, and the datbases are your responsibility, regardless of what your direct manager says, or
2. Responsibility for database malfunction lies with a micromanager trying to take control, not with the person who was hired to manage the databases.

I think the best solution would be to get a new job. As was said earlier, keep it neutral, and cut the ties. The problem is not your responsibility. You're better off leaving than recording every single discussion, email, voicemail, etc. and hoping you get a sympathic person reviewing the case who won't mind that you burned hundreds of hours of company time documenting a catfight with your manager.

If you decide to stick it out, it becomes your problem. I would not hire someone to try to do the job to the best of their ability; I hire someone to get the job done. You (not your manager) is the database administrator. You (not your manager) are responsible for your own work and your own duties. If there's a problem with a manager micromanaging your work, the top manager needs to know about it, because that manager was not hired to do the work - you were - and his own job is going undone or is redundant.

If, in the end, there was a serious problem with the database, I would fire both people, the manager for being a terrible manager and interfering with the professionals he/she is supposed to manage, and the DBA for not verifying his/her job is done correctly and elevating it to the correct level. You do risk making a bad name for yourself that way, but it is the only way to fix the problem. But again, I'd just leave the company before your own good name gets embroiled in this mess.

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

It is your job to do as your boss tells you to do, do it. He is in charge, he has the authority, and the responsibility since he is directly managing your time, and priorities for you. Your job description probably says to follow your bosses direction as instructed, not make your own decisions regardless of what your boss says. I would speak with him about your concerns in specifics, and put the ball in his court. Record the conversation, and your rear end is convered, anyone who would fire you after you communicate, document, and still get instructed to put your efforts elsewhere is just making you your bosses fall guy because he probably hired the idiot, and wont take the responsibility for that himself. If the person you answer to after the chit hits the fan blames you it is to cover up their own incompetence, after all management is hired not to try to manage, hire good bosses, keep involved in the pulse of the company and its managerial practices, but to get it done. there is not try, do, or do not do.

Situations like this are a good reason to have 6+ months of expenses saved up. It's a nice cushion when you want to walk.

Chip H.

Make the boss think the fixes are his idea. Lead him into it with questions and follow up with 'we might do something like ... if you think that'd work'.

Fix the problems, save the day, look for a new job.

You never know. Your boss might reward you for making him look good and feel great - about his ability to manage [wink]

Good luck.

When you get the new job, turn in your notice, and have your exit interview during which offer to come in as a consultant and work on the things that your manager refused to allow you to work on, that need to get done to make sure the DB's do not go into chaos. Charge the going rate for a consulting firm doing the DBA.

I'd leave ASAP. This situation is going to be a dead loss for you.

aarenot makes an excellent suggestion, but if you do decide to return as a contractor you might consider finding a company to handle the payroll and collections, and who will write you a cheque and a W2. That way if there are any collection problems you won't have to handle them.

Management thrive on reports not the opinions of competent people. If the system falls over they will throw 100% of the blame at you.
I would compile a report, detailing the actions your boss has forced you to do, the possible/actual problems these actions will cause and your opinion of what the correct action should be. Keep this report off site and in the event of them greasing you up and sliding you out of the door, send copies of the report to everyone who has a pulse in the organisation.
Most important to keep the wording professional and do not be tempted to make personal comments.

Keith

send copies of the report to everyone who has a pulse in the organisation.
Most important to keep the wording professional

That advice seems a bit contradictory to me. Professionals don't spam their criticisms of the company (or certain members of the company) to everyone who works there after they've been fired. That comes across as a very trashy thing to do.

It's not your company, you have a job to do. Do it to the best of your abilities. Document gaps between your professional recommendations and your manager's actions/requests. Keep a copy for yourself in case it should ever make it to legal action (which in 99.999% of cases it won't). And if they shove you out the door, wash your hands of the situation and let them have their little kingdom. If you don't work there then it's no longer your concern.

CYA! For those who do not know what that means, cover your arse with documentation of your communication of concerns, and direct orders which lead to the issues. While not working there may therefore make the companies concerns no longer your concern proffessionaly, on a personal level you may have concerns. You may have friends, or even family that still work there, and that may give you cause for concern for their livelihood. You may also have a desire to give a little "love" back to your former boss for his incomptence, and his dictatorial style, but do not do it. That does not mean to do anything to hide his incompetence, just do not take any vindictive actions, as they will only taint your opinion in others eyes.
You might want to leave some further instructions, or information for your DBA replacement in a place that only a DBA would find it. I work on IP phone systems myself, and often make a nice little voicemail box called administrative voice notes for the next guy to listen to on custom set ups, and how to deal with them. Since only the next system admin will ever see this mailbox name, they are the only one who will ever discover it, and find the treasure chest of knowledge within. Also, a text file placed in the backups file folder is a nice little place to secure the blessings of knowledge to posterity. It can also alert your replacement of the scenario they may encounter.

aarenot said:
You might want to leave some further instructions, <snip> It can also alert your replacement of the scenario they may encounter.

That is worth a star for its pure simplicity (relevance to me)

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back