Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep Group Together AND print in multiple columns 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndie

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
I have a report that I would like to print the detail section in multiple columns. This setting works great except I cannot figure out how to keep the groups together. Setting the "keep together" option avoids the group splitting across pages but it does not prevent the group from splitting across columns. On some pages the group heading is at the bottom of column 1 and the detail records are at the top of column 2.

Any suggestions?

cyndie

Can you clarify that you ARE choosing the 'keep group together' option for the GROUP and not for the SECTION.

If you load up the section expert and set 'keep group together' for GH and GF you are not keeping the GROUP together but thwe SECTION.

To geep the group together, right click the GH and choose 'Change Group'. Make sure that has the 'keep group together option ticked and see if that works. Steve Phillips, Crystal Consultant

I verified that I have "keep group together" selected within the Group settings. This works great to keep the group on the same page however it doesn't keep the group in the same column.

Also, I noticed that in the format multiple columns setting I can specify the width of the columns (I used 3") but I can't specify the heighth.

Thanks,
Cyndie

Dear Cyndie,

I am having the same problem. Have you been able to solve this yet?

Try formatting the details section to print "across then down" instead of "down then across" on the layout tab. Steve Phillips, Crystal Consultant

Crystal allows you to manage page breaks, but has nothing to manage column breaks.

You can ensure that at least ONE record prints under each GH by expanding the GH and putting the detail fields in it (so the first record of each group prints twice) and then suppressing the first detail record of each group. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

I think the problem is that you are continuously printing detail information....ie. There is no header or footer information shown.

a simple solution would be to print a very very thin header section....this would ensure the next group data would not continue in the same column as the previous group. Jim Broadbent

Hi Cyndie,

I have the same problem with you.I also have to format them 'down then across'.
If you find any solution ,please share it with us.
I will be grateful.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back