Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keep getting bad partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkmark

Technical User
Sep 9, 2001
US
I have an IBM pc 500Mhz with a 20G hdd, has issues with cdrom not being seen, and when I got it 'seen' after doing a fresh fdisk and IBM recovery cd install this is what happens.
Try to access the cdrom in explorer and pc hardlocks
Ran Ontrack DataAdvisor and it states partition is bad

Redo partition with part mag 8. all fixed
Load restore cd again... 'note' no probs with cdrom in use for restore, (its brand new also)
Load up windows...go to access cdrom and again it hardlocks
causing partition again to bad.

I did a full surface scan of hdd...no I/O errors or bad sectors. Memory 'seems' fine but could it be bad ram?

Note: this will do it with any cdrom drive/type

Help!!

could be bad ram - or other hardware (check ram first by rerplacing with known good, or just using one stick at a time if more than one).

ACK... found the prob... all the hardware was fine... the prob was IBM Corp, hehe updated the bios and foom! everything worked... Thats the first time I ever seen a bios prevent Windows from using any type of cdrom upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back