Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keep getting 13.1 paper jam but no paper is jammed 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2002
US
Does anyone know why my HP 4000 keep getting a 13.1 paper jam please open top cover and close top cover to continue. Once I do that it starts printing again. What is causing it. I am thinking that its a sensor problem in the printer or the way the document was formatted that is causing it.
Does anyone know why its getting that error saying that there is a paper jam but really nothing is stuck.

I did test print of several other types of regular word doc and test prints and it prints ok. It is only once in a while that it gets that error. 13.1 paper jam.

Any suggestion or idea that is causing it.

probable sensor error but can be logic.
You could try a google search for hp error 13.1 and see if there are any common problems that cause it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You might also carefully check the paper path for any pieces of torn paper or other foreign objects.

It may be a sensor or the logic board but I would start with the input rollers. If they are worn and they don't pick up the paper you will get a 13.1 and possible that they will pick the paper when you clear the error.

Where would I find the sensor. It is just that it happends twice or so in a while and all I do is open the top cover and close it. Yeah Ill try new rollers but I dought that is the problem. Im thinking that it might be a sensor or logi board issue. Mostly sensor though. Just my 2 cents.

So where abouts should I find the sensor in the printer?

Thanks for all the help and infor. :)

It is also possible the paper you are using is the cause of intermittent jams if the paper is other than a standard white color laser paper.

Matte, photo, and other heavier weight papers may be beyond the thickness limitations of your printer as indiciated in your user manual. User manuals are also available for download at hp.com if you don't have yours.

Note that using papers that are outside the specifications of your printer's design can damage it's reliability or print quality over long-term use (the printer will still work but you may begin to notice additional imperfections in it's performance, etc.).

Turn the printer off. On the paper tray, remove the roller at the front of the tray. Re-seat it and place back on spindle. Turn printer back on.

This is the beginning of a clutch problem. (the little black metal cylinder you will see to the right of the separation roller at the front of the tray. You may also be hearing a short "groan" whent he printer does pick up the paper. If this hasn't been happening too long, your feed/sep rollers are probably still OK. You can "mod" the clutch by popping it open, removing approx 1/2 the metal filings you find inside and re-installing it. Too many filings cause too much torque and the if you watched the action from the rear with a flashlite, you'd see the paper getting picked up, then deposited back into the tray.

Thanks for the advice k1c2 - Works like a charm. For those others out there here is a little more detailed procedure to accomplish this:

The clutch is the small (3/4in dia, 3/4in tall) black cylinder next to the separation roller at the front of the paper tray.

- Flip up small plasic cover at left front of tray next to the separation roller.
- Squeeze the separation roller release tab and slide off of shaft.
- Slide clutch off of shaft.
- Point gray clutch shaft down.
- Hold the clutch by the black metal barrel and push down on a table top. The clutch will separate.
- Remove about 1/2 of the metal filings in the clutch. (Pinch them together with you fingers to remove)
- Reassemble.

Hey JimInKS, here's a star for the extra detail!

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

Hi All
The Hp 4000 printer Error 13.1 this is cause by paper dust on the sensor. Take out the toner and use a air dusted to blow out the paper dust from the registration sensor. Also the fuser sensor will stick from time to time,
I hopes this helps
PBing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back