Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kaspersky rescue cd stalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodecia

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2010
CA
I have downloaded and burned the kaspersky rescue cd (from my licensed version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2010). It runs fine on my Windows 7 laptop but it stalls on my desktop.

The desktop is running Windows XP Pro (installed from own disks, not OEM, no hidden partitions)

The cd boots. It starts to configure then stalls part way through the command line and will not load the GUI

Text as follows:

!!Media not found
!!Could not find cd to boot, something else needed
>>Determining root device...
!!Could not find the root block device in .
Please specify another value or: press Enter for the same, type "shell for a shell, or "q" to skip
root block device () ::

if you type q says

skipping step this will likely cause boot failure"
mounting root...
mount: cant find /new root in /etc/fstab

if you type shell it says

to leave and try again press CTRL + D

if you do CTRL D it says
Busybox v1.7.4 (2009-01-30 14:32:46 WTC built in shell (ash)
enter 'help" for a list of built in commands

/bin/ash: cann't access tty: job control turned off
$

Any help would be appreciated

is the CD (DVD) drive attached through SATA?

as it sounds like it is loosing the CD/DVD drivers to me, and this can happen under certain circumstances, e.g. SATA and AHCI, never seen it with IDE though...

go to the BIOS and change the SATA mode to IDE (or Legacy) and retry, remember the setting so that you can revert them once done...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I think you are leading me in the right direction. I can't scroll up and read all the text but I watched it a few times and it says :

"Looking for CDROM
Attempting to mount media /dev/sda1
Attempting to mount media /dev/sda2
Attempting to mount media /dev/sda5
Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb
Attempting to mount media /dev/sdc
Attempting to mount media /dev/sdd
Attempting to mount media /dev/sde
Media not found"

So I have gone round and round the bios configuration and I cannot find the place to configure IDE mode. The closest thing I can find is an optimzed vs failsafe/loadfail modes.

An interesting note all my sata controllers are listed, as is the floppy but there is no IDE controller on the list to disable/enable or configure. Yet the two IDE CD/DVD drives are listed in the boot order menu.

BTW I have tried booting from each of the 2 IDE CD/DVD drives and the same result happens

I am now trying to google more information on my BIOS. If there's anymore information I can provide that would help in solving thi problem please let me know.

it could be that the Kaspersky CD does not have the IDE modules integrated, and just has SATA drivers...

to remedy this, you would either have to:

1. get a SATA DVD(CD) Burner(ROM) and attach to an open SATA port...

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

or

2. place the ISO on a bootable USB stick, and boot from USB...

How to create USB boot Kaspersky Rescue Disk with Grub4dos

Kaspersky Rescue CD booting from USB, Kaspersky Rescue CD booting from USB

or

3. try one of the following AV scanners instead:

Dr.Web LiveCD

Avira Rescue System

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back