Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

K7S5A comp wont post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroy1441

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
US
Motherboard: K7S5A
Processor: Athlon XP 2700+
Video card: Radeon 7500
RAM: Kingston pc3300
PSU: Allied 300W
Hard Drive: Maxtor 7200rpm
CDRW: ASUS 52x/24x/52x

About two months ago i had a power surge with a different psu. i determined the motherboard and processor were fried. i replaced them under warranty. i can get the fans to spool up but nothing else happens, no lights, no beeps, nothing. i have a new psu but have also tried booting from another psu with the same results. i have swapped out the video card with a working geforce two, same result. i have swapped out the ram, same result. i have re-seated the processor, same result. i have tried different monitor, i have booted on pink foam. it is my opinion that i got a bad motherboard even though it is brand new. i would like to avoid getting another one if it isnt the mother board. is there any thing else i can try. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

As I recall, the ECS K7S5A can't handle any Athlon chip over 2400+ because of the difference in bus speeds. The 2400+ and below run on a 266MHz bus, while the 2500+ and higher run on the newer and faster 333MHz bus.

You might want to check out ECS's L7S7A2, it is another cheap ECS board, but it supports the 333MHz bus. Here is a link:

-----------------------
Fishguy

thanks a lot i had never heard about this issue. when i first built the comp. it had a 2400 plus but when it got fried i went ahead and upgraded it to a 2700 plus. this would explain why it worked when i first built it. thanks very much for your input.

Glad that I could be of assistance.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back