Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

K175 phone and conferencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

critchey

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2015
US
So I have a weird issue at a customer with a K175 phone. I have the phone up and running but when they try to initiate a conference call they get an error on the phone. When I look in SSA it is kicking out an error that they are trying to use a voicemail pro feature without a license? As far as I know Voicemail Pro is not a requirement to have conferencing on the K175 (have looked through the manual several times maybe I am missing it?). I have a K175 working on my test system, with the customers settings file and config file, and our Server Edition but of course both have Voicemail Pro so it really does not prove anything. So I am just trying to get a definitive answer... Do you need Voicemail Pro to conference on a K175?

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I am not sure why the phone would try to do a meet me conference there is no shortcode involved I am using the phone menus. Call first participant, through the phone make another call, hit merge call and it fails with error and spits out the error in SSA. Well at least you confirmed that it should not need voicemail pro(for ad-hoc) as I thought thank you.

I would make sure you have call waiting turned on in the user telephony tab. Can't remember which new SIP phone required this but otherwise it was viewed as a single line set and couldn't 'merge' calls.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

The K175 is the only SIP extension they have on the system so I can't compare it to another SIP extension sadly. I did try call waiting under telephony but no change same behavior. This really bugs me because it should not be trying to use Voicemail Pro features to do a regular conference through the buttons on the phone but for some reason it is. The system is running R11 FP4 and I know it has had some issues maybe a release issue? I wish I had a system with R11 essential edition license and IP endpoint but no preferred edition so I could see if I could replicate it...

It is very hard to get this particular customer on with me at the same time to run a monitor trace and see anything which compounds the issue. I remember the one I was able to get him on with me I did not see anything compelling in the trace logs but I always worried maybe I am missing a filter. I would imagine the typical SIP filters, error and print, short code messages (just to be sure phone is not trying to use a shortcode for some reason), call events, extension events, targeting events should be enough or am I missing something filter wise?

Thanks again for the suggestions I really do appreciate it.

I looked it up this morning and you do have to have call waiting on.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Ya I have call waiting turned on for the extension at this point but it did not make a difference same error. I still can not wrap my head around the whole using a voicemail pro feature when trying to conference...

System is running R11 FP4 so not to old. I know that version has some issues I thought about reverting it back to R11 SP2. I am in process of trying to get my hands on a SD card with R11 essentials and IP endpoint but with no preferred edition. If I can run some tests and narrow it down it would help. I hate to blindly tell the customer to downgrade like that but I really don't have anything else to try at this point.

I finally got to do some tests with a K175 R11 and IP endpoint system with no preferred edition and can confirm that I do get the same error. I ran through the logs and can see why... using the phone menu to merge the calls uses a conference meetme to do so. It all makes sense now. I see they released new firmware for the K175 on June 4th I am going to try with that firmware and see if it makes a difference. I noticed in the release notes for the firmware this "Open SIP basic support–3way local conferencing support." so I am hopeful this resolves my issue. I will post what I find out.

Even with the new firmware for the K175 same thing. Seems really silly the built in conference in the phone uses a meetme but there is nothing in the documentation stating you need preferred edition for this phone that I can find. You can't even manually use *47 because you can't get secondary dial tone on the second call so you are forced to use the built in merge which forces a meetme which forces you to have voicemail pro... silly silly design.

So for anyone wondering it does appear you must have voicemail pro to do a conference with a K175 despite no documentation stating this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back