Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just realized how much I really dont know still!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanBKNY

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
At this point I didn’t think that I knew everything Cisco by any means, but I was feeling fairly confident. Well I took one of my friends practice CCENT tests and man, the SIMS really killed me. I don’t know whether I was just intimidated or what. Well I started reading some posts by (preddy007)

Burtsbees and CiscoGuy33 had a lot of good advice in that thread. I am going to take my time and really try to absorb the material. I have all of the proper gear but sometimes I feel like I need some more scenarios to work with. I have some labs that I have been doing but a lot of the time I feel like I am just copying the lab.

Anyway, I was supposed to take my test on June 24th.But after the practice test disaster, I think I am going to push it off for a little bit longer.

JonathanBKNY ,

Reality does suck - lucky it did not cost you $150 on a failed exam!

I have been teaching CCNAs in a Cisco Network Academy since 1999 - I always tell my students and those that ask here the same thing!

FIRST THING - go to the Cisco site and read what THEY SAY ABOUT THEIR EXAM and look at what study material they have etc. People are always asking EVERYONE else what is on the CCNA exam - Cisco lists the objectives for the test at the website!

For the CCNA - get at least 2 books - I always like the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle - you can find it cheaper at

Also any of the Cisco Press books - you would be surprized at how differently they can present the same concept.

You can also add any of the other great books or study guides out there but you need Sybex and Cisco Press.

I love the CBT Nuggets for when you are tired of reading and want to listen for a while - they have TONS of free CBTs in all areas - CCNA, CCNP, CCIE etc so you can get a good feel before you buy!

You should have a good sim for when you can not be in front of your "lab rack" - the only way to get good at the IOS is to understand it like the back of your hand - this takes practice, practice and more practice.

And I think that you need a "real" lab of at least 3 Cisco routers (with at least one being a 26xxXM so you have a Fast Ethernet port AND can do SDM. The other 2 can be any 1700, 2500, 2600 or even 3600 - the key is to make sure that the router supports the IOSs that have the features you will be tested on.

You will also need 2-3 2900-XL or 2950 switches that run IOS .

If you are planning on moving to CCNP as most aspire to - the lab will be a great foundation for your CCNP lab!

Now as you read your books or watch your CBTs make notes and then TEST IT ALL on your sims or your lab rack.

Also get the 700 page free PDF CCNA lab book from prior post and work through that!

Use testing software to test where you are - NOT TO LEARN QUESIONS - most tell you your weak areas - go back to the books and the labs and work those areas.

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hi CiscoGuy,

You said the lab need at least one 26xxXM router so it will have FE port and can do SDM. Can't we get the 2650 and have the same features, or there's more to it?

Kin

CiscoGuy33

What do you reccomend for some sim software?

Thanks for all of the suggestions..

I convinced my company that a one year streaming subscription to CBT Nuggets was a really good idea... So I have been going over all of the CCENT CBTS by Jeremy Ciora.. The guy is awesome...

As for the lab gear. I am covered there for the most part

I had some gear but after the suggestions about a month ago I upgraded some of the gear. Burt had told me that I would not be able to do anything much with the Catalyst 1900 ser

Switches

2 Catalyst 2950 24pt

1 Catalyst 3560 24pt

1 Catalyst 2900 24pt
2 Catalyst 1900's

Routers

1 2621xm with 2 Fast ethernets and 2 wic-1T installed
1 3640 With 3 Fast ethernets ports
3 2500's

Jonathan

GottaBeKiN,

The 2650 is good router because it has a Fast Ethernet port, it can do 12.4 IOS and at $80 on eBay with 128 DRAM 32 FLASH you can not touch that deal.

As for SDM - according to Cisco docs - the only 2600 that support SDM are - Cisco 2610XM, 2611XM, 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM, 2651XM, and 2691.

For the complete list -

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

JonathanBKNY,

You did not list any books you are using - CBTs are great but I think the 2 books I listed above are a very important part of learning.

Sybex does package (for more $$$$) a good sim with some of the premium versions of the study guide - once again shop this because you will get a better deal at Bookpool or Amazon

Boson is one of the best out there - not cheap but they do have a FREE demo you can download and "try before you buy"

Cisco also has one that it gives to it's academy students for free which is called Packet Tracer 4.1 - I have seen it on some Torrent downloads but I doubt those are legal copies!

You can also check eBay under software - I have seen many sims offered there but sometimes they are older versions - know what you are getting!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Thanks CiscoGuy for the link of routers that supports SDM. I was under the impression that the 2650 will support SDM since it is capable to run 12.4 IOS.

Kin

CiscoGuy33

ooPs :}

I am staring at my books right now,
CISCO PRESS BOOKS
Book 1) CCENT/CCNA ICND1 by Wendelll Odom (2nd edition)
Book 2) CCENT/CCNA ICND2 by Wendelll Odom (2nd edition)
Book 3) CCNA Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack
SYBEX BOOk
Book 4) CCNA STUDY GUIDE by Todd Lammle (sixth edition)

I dont mind putting the money out for the books. I find that I gravitate to the videos. I am an avid reader but technical reading is a little rough for me sometimes.

I Just picked up one of the 2650's on ebay and I will look into the Boson stuff.

CiscoGuy33 as always your suggestions are extremely helpful.

Thanks
Jonathan

GottaBeKiN,

It is funny that Cisco supports 800s, 1700 etc. but does not support 2600s for SDM - I guess since they moved to 2600XMs they figure that is enough of a 2600 base to support!

JonathanBKNY,

Thanks and I know what you mean about the videos - love em :)

I had a student once who was always getting a cert in something - he had more letters after his name :) I am not kidding this guy had about 20-30 certs!!! He would get as many books as he could on PDF - he would print 1-2 chapters out at a time and roll them up and put them in his back pocket - then ANYTIME or ANYWHERE he had a moment - he would be reading his stuff !!! Worked for him very well!

Have a great memorial day everyone and do not forget why we have the day OFF !!!!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back