Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just moved here from the Linux forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all, I've been posting to the Linux forum here on Tek-Tips. I can't believe I never found this forum but here it is. Anyway, here are my posts (cleaned up some). Can anyone here help me 'cuz it's still not working.

First post:

Hey all,

I'm running Fedora 9 with the new core (2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686). I now have Samba (samba-3.2.0-2.17.fc9.i386) working and I can see my "shared" folder on my Linux box from my XP SP3 computer but I can't access the folder. I've tried User Security and Share Security but no joy. I keep getting a "\\server\share is not accessible" error when I try to connect. I've 777'ed the folder and tried making the owner me and root but I still can't get in. <snip> I even followed the instructions on this page: and I still wasn't able to access the folder. <snip>

Second post:

Here's what's in the log.smbd file:

[2008/08/21 07:12:04,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
  '/share' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [share] Error was Permission denied
[2008/08/21 07:12:08,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
  '/share' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [share] Error was Permission denied
[2008/08/21 07:12:08,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)

One connection attempt gives these three error messages in the log. I checked in log.nmbd and there wasn't anything in there. I tried using smbpasswd to set myself up using my Fedora password, and when that didn't work I tried it with my Windows password. I even included the "guest ok = yes" parameter in smb.conf thinking that would bypass any password requirements. Nope. I even added root to my smbpasswd list 'cuz I read somewhere that I needed to add root to get it to work. What should my next step be?

<snip>

(Suggested smb.conf configuration for share)
[share]
    browseable = no
    public = no
    writeable = yes
    path = /some-real-filesystem-path
    create mode = 775
    available = yes
    directory mode = 775

Most recent post:

I setup my smb.conf file like you suggested. Now when I try to connect to \\IPAddress\share I get a "Connect to..." window. BUT, when I put in my Fedora login name and password this error is still popping up in log.smbd:

[2008/08/21 08:41:10,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)

I even tried connecting as root from my XP machine and I get the same error. As a test I tried to create a file in \share (from my Linux machine) and did that successfully. Then I tried editing the file. That worked too.

<snip>

Thanks,

Joe B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back