Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

just installed XP, and modem not detected........

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiosdef

Technical User
May 9, 2003
US
After formating my hard-drive, I installed win XP and discovered that my modem is not being detected.

I wish to know what exactly is wrong, and how can I see which COM port (1, 2, 3) it is on..........

for example, my other computer reads this:

SENS LT56IDW Modem ------------------(attached to) COM 3

Please do help.

Thank you

was XP installed before the format? if so, physically take the modem out and put it in another slot or even the same one and try rebooting. to see if it will detect any new hardware then. you may need to get the XP drivers from the manufacturer. if it wasn't XP before..... well i'd do the same thing. i had alot of problems once with a modem and XP it wouldn't install the modem XP "plug-n-play" style so it would detect it unless i took it out of the pci slot and put it in another one, but then again that modem was a piece of crap.

bottom line is that you will probably need to get the correct XP or Win 2000 driver and manually install it on a specific com port yourself.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back