Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just Got XP, Help me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've posted here before with excellent results, so why not post again?!

I just got XP, and there are a couple things I want to address.
How do I stop MSN Messenger from starting up everytime I start my computer?

Secondly, I previously used this computer (200 mhz pentium pro) on Windows NT Server 4.0. And when I did, I was able to set my monitor to 1024x768 with 256 colors. That is the setting I want. However, now on XP Pro, it is impossible for me to select that option. I really would like to however. My monitor is a COMPAQ V50 Color Monitor on Cirrus Logice 5430/5440 Compatible. It's a pretty old computer, but if you guys could help it would be very much appreciated!

The video problem is probably because the video/display adapter doesn't have as many options in WinXP.

Is the video/display adapter an on-board device or a separate plug-in card, PCI or ISA? How much RAM do you have? If the video/display adapter is on-board is it sharing system RAM? If the plug-in card is an ISA, it may not work fully with WinXP [WinXP doesn't seem to like ISA much].

I'm curious as to how well WinXP is running on 200MHz since the minimum required was 266MHz.

it runs just fine, some programs even faster than my main computer (weird)... but i have no idea about the vcard stuff, but i think it works with windows xp because i got that info of what it was from the display settings...the comp is a compaq proliant server 2500. i really want 1024x768, this tiny lil 800x600 is killin me!!

Messenger.

In the Messenger window select Tools/ options/ Preferences, uncheck the run at startup box.

You can also remove the Messenger from your system if you want to. Here's how:

C:\WINDOWS\Inf contains a file named sysoc.inf

modify the file by replacing

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

with

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

Now you can uninstall the Messenger using Add/Remove Programs.

Here is a link great freeware utility called XP-AntiSpy that let's you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in Windows XP, including MS Messenger.

Here is a link great freeware utility called XP-AntiSpy that let's you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in Windows XP, including MS Messenger.

Hey, take it steady guys, from one who has suffered on your behalf.
Deleting 'unecessary' stuff from XP, willy-nilly
can produce unexpected and troublesome results
on some machines (mine fer'instance - and at least a half-dozen other posters on the HP forums):eek:(
Be VERY careful with Messenger - if you must,
I would recommend disable, NOT delete (uninstal) via msmsgs. That is what I did, and the first thing I noticed, was that Outlook Express opened differently - slowly in fact. So you hit the e-mail program, up comes the window at usual speed, then...nothing...30secs non-activity then up comes the inbox as usual.
This was, it must be said, reported by others, and it is not easy (impossible?) to retrace your steps.
As related elsewhere, I'm faced with a complete restoration of XP. Too much tinkering?
On the monitor question - my understanding is that, for instance in display.properties.refresh, XP will only display what your monitor is capable of. As you are using obsolete monitor XP probably has given you a generic profile. If you have an install disc for monitor, XP probably won't like that either.
You say 1024x768 for 256 colours - have you tried hi-colour?
Or selecting another monitor profile?

I have removed MS Messenger from all of our company computers without any problems. We have 135 computers in several different models, Dell, Compaq, HP even two eMachines and we have not experience any problems related to the removal of messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back