Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JUST GOT MY UPGRADE NOW WHAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonymousJane

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
Okay I just got my upgrade to v8.5, I got the Professional again because I'm not going to need all the features in the Developer version. What sold me on the upgrade was that I can enable Web Reporting. With the upgrade I got a Crystal Enterprise CD-ROM and I assume that I need that to enable the web reporting feature in v8.5, BUT, I wasn't really planning on installing anything on our web server. I understand that you have to do install it on there, but can't I just install Crystal Enterprise on my computer as a stand-alone.

This is the way I run my reports: I download all the files from our database server to my local hard drive everynight so I don't cause major traffic for the users the next day. I already have 3 other people in the company that copy the files from my computer anyways, so can't I just use my computer as a stand-alone "mock" web server?? Someone let me know please, before I screw up my computer or our web server.

If users aren't running the Crystal reports themselves, why implement web reporting?

How do users get the reports? You run them on your PC and give them an export file in PDF or RTF? Brian J. Alves
Terrier Consulting, Inc.
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / Crystal / SQLServer

The 3 people that know how to copy the data off of my computer use the tables to create reports in Excel or in Report Smith. I'm the only user of Crystal Reports. I would like to have all the people that bug me for reports to be able to run them on their own. All I would have to do is create the SQL queries, then let them run it themselves. Remember in CR v6, how you were able to schedule the run time for the reports. I had the reports run at a scheduled time and had them save to one of the servers in HTML or Excel format, and all they had to do was open the file so they can get what they wanted. I guess I just want them to be able to do that again...........to be able to access the reports themselves without having them hound me at inconvenient times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back