Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just got an AS400 E-series....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
Here's a silly question.

I just got an AS/400 e-series (not sure of the model, but that doesn't matter for this question)

I don't have a Twinax terminal for it; and I need to change the IP address to get it on my network.

I can get into the box (using a 5250 emulator, and setting my network card on my PC to have 2 IP addresses then telnetting into it)... however, it won't let me make any changes to the IP address, since I'm connecting over ethernet.

Is there a workaround? It won't even let me change the subnet.

Thanks in advance!

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

That's a tricky one... :)

This will be risky, but you can write a CL that will end the existing TCP interfact (ENDTCPIFC) remove the TCP interface (RMVTCPIFC) & then add a new TCP interfact (ADDTCPIFC), and then start the new TCP interface (STRTCPIFC).

Of course, you need to make sure that you do not make any mistakes in this process... :)

I have not tried this, so I'm not even 100% sure that this will work...

Do you have a Twinax controller? If so, you may want to see if you can get a Twinax card for your PC, or try to find a used 3476 or similar terminal. If TCP is ever ended on your AS400 & TCP is NOT scheduled to restart upon IPL, without a non-TCP way to connect, you may be SOL.

Depending on what other equipment your AS/400 came with, you may have other options (such as an ASCII controller, which will allow you to connect via a modem (or perhaps even null modem cable), etc).

Good luck! :)

Yeah... I've got everything for twinax, *except* for a card or a terminal to plug into it.

It'd be nice to find a PCMCIA/TwinAx adapter for my laptop....

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

If I am not mistaken there is a converter that allows Twinax to run over IP (must be some kind of Twinax<->Ethernet converter). Try googling "Twinax to Ethernet Converters" there are a few products out there that can help.

Hope this helps.

itsp1965:

I'll dig into it some more... but the first one I saw was a kilo-dollar.

Just my 2¢
--Greg

itsp1965,

There is a converter that will allow you to use a CAT-5 (or even CAT-3) cable to connect a terminal or Twinax card to a twinax controller. I think it is called a balin.

Basically what it does is uses 2 wire (1 pair). But, unlike using Twinax, you can only hook up 1 device using this method, whereas Twinax allows up to 7.

This will not work in his circumstance, as he needs a terminal or PC Twinax card.

Greg:

I'm not really an operations guy, but you may need to sign on as QSECOFR to make that change. If that's not it, you need to configure a termianl as a console. Twinax is not the only way to do it.

Does this help? (I'm thinking you need to look at "Local Console").

(I don't know what release you are on, this is for V5R3).

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Yeah... I have QSECOFR status... the problem is, it's not letting me *change* the IP or subnet of an ethernet port that I'm logged in through. <sigh>

Just my 2¢
--Greg

Just had a brain thingy... try this, create a second interface on the same card with the ip and subnet you want. Make it active. Then try to connect thru the new interface. You may have to ipl, but i don't think so.

HTH

Mike Butler
Iseries Guy -> PC's gone, SUNs gone - WooHoo
"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you should have done yesterday

Tried it. :) Thought "Hey, I can assign two IP's in Windows....." but when I gave it a shot, it refused.

I'm just going to have to find someone with a terminal I can use for 5 mins.

Just my 2¢
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back