Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Junk mail update puts good mail in junk mail folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeker

MIS
Apr 22, 2002
US
I have a problem with good mail going in the junk mail folder. I had the same problem twice before and a technician determined that it was caused by a Microsoft junk mail update. He knew never to apply that update to my PC. My junk mail filter was working very well. Now a new techician applied the updates and I have chaos in my inbox. Good mail in the junk mail folder. Marking email addresses and domains as good mail doesn't work with me because I get mail from the general public.

I have completely removed all entries from the blocked sender list and deselected any junk mail filters. Still the good mail is going in the junk mail folder.

Has anyone every had this problem? Would anyone have a clue as to which update needs to be unapplied? In desperation I'm considering re-installing MS Office, although I really don't want to do that.

Any suggestions?

Assuming OL2K3 Pro for your email client. Try uninstalling the update for the OL2K3 junk e-mail filter.

1. Go to Control Panel ->Add/remove programs
2. Check the box to "show updates"
3. Scroll to: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
4. Select: Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail Filter (KB955434):OUTFLTR
5. Uninstall the update.
6. Go to your Microsoft updates page and hide the update.

Cheers.

I have already removed a junk mail email filter update, not sure if it is the same one. There are only two remaining updates for Microsoft Office - KP907417 OTKLOADER and Service Pack 3. They both say they cannot be removed.

There is also the compatibility pack. Would there be anything in that to affect junk mail?

There shouldn't be anything in the compatibility pack that would affect junk mail. AFAIK, the only thing affecting the junk mail filter should be the junk email filter.

Did you reboot your machine after uninstalling the junk email filter update?

Can you use system restore to roll back to a point before your tech did the MS updates?

Cheers.

I did reboot after uninstalling.

System Restore says there are no restore points.

What about Detect and Repair? Could that possibly help?

Yep, running Detect & Repair could possibly help.

Do you have system restore turned off or did it turn itself off?

Cheers.

It is not turned off, but I can't make the calendar go back to August 20, which is when this occurred. I don't know if that is a wise idea anyhow. The only restore point is yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back