Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumpers and BIOS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
Now that I've added a second hard drive and second CD-ROM (CD-RW), I'm not exactly sure what the jumper settings on the drives (as well as settings in BIOS) should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Liam Morley
lmorley@wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

You should have both hard drives on one IDE port and both CD-Roms on your second IDE port.

On the hard disk that contains your operating system you want to set the jumper for MASTER. On the second drive set the jumper to SLAVE.

You should run fdisk on the secondary hard drive to partition it but do not make any partition active.

In your BIOS setup if there is an AUTO-DETECT option for the IDE HDD then use it. If not you will need to supply the parameters manualy.

Just be sure not to mix/match hard drives and CD roms on the same IDE port.

Hope this helps...

Ed

Thanks Ed.. I had done that.. however I was having trouble from my second CD-ROM (installed a good while before the second hard drive) that was working fine before I installed the second HD. I thought I'd check to see if the jumpers had anything to do with it. However I tried everything (down to including one CD-ROM at a time with the same jumper setting), and I'm pretty sure it's something with the drive now. (It sounds like there's a piece of paper stuck in the spokes of a bicycle that's moving really fast.) It's a pain, because it's an HP CD-RW and rather expensive. I don't want to have to replace it. Thanks again for the assitance and reassurance... <p>Liam Morley<br><A HREF="mailto:"></A><br>&quot;light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>light the world, and bring depth to the silence.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back