Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumper settings for 2 Harddisks,1 CD-Writer & 1 DVD-Writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgkeller

Programmer
Apr 12, 2000
CA
Hello Tek-Tips colleagues,

I intend to change my Primary Hard Disk (40 GB) for a 120 GB Maxtor ATA
and I would need some guidance as to the proper Jumper settings for the following set-up:

Master harddisk 120 GB (new) - IDE 1 - Jumper setting: M
Slave harddisk 40 GB (existing) – IDE 2 - Jumper setting: S
1 CD-Writer LG connected to the Master cable – Jumper setting: ?
1 DVD-Writer, also LG, connected to the Slave cable = Jumper setting: ?

Shall I use the Acronis program for partitioning the new harddisk into:
- 30 GB Boot and OS – WINB98SE
- 30 GB Data
- 30 GB Pictures and Music
- 30 GB Backup only

The second hard disk (40 GB) would be used for Backup and/or LINUX.

The computer is an AMD-64 – Speed 1.921 GHz
FAT-32.

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Charles.

Looks good - CD = master and DVD = slave (thats how mine is). Just carefully check the install instructions for the DVD, some require "master" - some require "slave", most don't care! I use my "slave" drive for system images (my image is about 15gig). A system image won't copy to the same drive, must be a seperate drive - not partition.

Hi,

The alternative is to set all the jumpers to CS and mount the units in the appropriate order on the data cables.

Ghost 9 will image in real time to a folder on the same drive, it just won't do it on anything less than W2K/XP.

Altiris also produce similar solutions.

I have mine setup with both hard drives on one cable and the cdroms on the other cable. I have set the jumps rather then using the cable select.

Does it matter only in that if you have a super fast hdd and you put it on a cable with a slower drive the supposely it slows down the faster drive. One thing make sure you use the new 80 wire cable for the faster drives otherwise it drops to 66hz. At that is what I believe I have read.

Never Say Never (Romeo Void)
SeeYa
#1 Homebuilt Iwill KK266plus-r 1.0Ghz AMD Win98Se, DVD-rom, LG-cdwriter.
# Acer Aspire 300Hz, Hp-Writer, daul boot Win98SE/ Fedora Core 2

Memo to Micker377, GavinColes and Gargoyle47:
Thank you for your valuable input, which I followed.
However, I increased the size of the new hard drive from 80 to 160 GB, just to be on the same side.
I also changed the partitions, to only 2, like this:
80 GB = for OS and programs
80 GB = for Wordprocessing, Spreadsheet, Pictures and Music.

The second hard drive (40 GB, the old one) is only for a secure Backup (away for the master hard drive).

I understand if you use 4 partions instead of 2, you are losing too much gigabyte space from 160 GB for nothing.

Keep well: Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back