Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jumper for IBM SCSI 33p3377 drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

artheim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I am needing to replace a Seagate SCSI drive in a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC system with an IBM SCSI drive p/n 33P3377 but cannot find the jumper assignment to allow the SCSI id and other options to be set. There is a 6 position block on the edge between the data and power connectors, and a 12 position block on the circuit board. There also is a diagram on the label for 12 connectors, but I cannot determine the orientation of this jumper block relative to the diagram on the label. I also am unable to find any documentation with the jumpers shown for this drive. Anyone know where or how I can find the needed info? Thanks,

Thanks for the pointer to the image, but I do not see anything that looks like a LED anywhere close to the connectors. I will keep looking and probably try it outside of the system box by itself until I figure how to set it for ID 3. I was hoping for more detailed instructions somewhere.

According to the picture it has an IBM part number but was manufactured by Fuji. Might have help there.
You could jumper the end 2 positions of the 12 postion block (either end) and see if it IDs with nothing else connected. If not, try the other end.
Or you could try a led on the second position on either end to find which is the led connector. LED should fire up momentarily on cold boot.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Good suggestion.. I did find a good review of the MAS3367NP (Fujitsu model - now handled by Toshiba) but nothing more on the orientation of the jumper block. Will do some experimentation with the drive outside of the box until I get it running. Using one orientation, it is jumpered as id 0 and narrow/wide (I suspect that means narrow?) which makes sense. If I use the opposite jumpering orientation, it would be jumpered for no id address, Start CMD on and Term Pwr EN, which doesn't make sense. I have not found anything to indicate what the 6 pin jumper block on the edge is for - it has one end set of pins jumpered.

Generally manufacturers don't tell you what the jumpers do. Those I've seen discussed affect the way the drive works or enable test circuits. I suspect you could find the equivalent uses but not actual pins used by looking at competing drives.
Does the controller for the system have a bus scan feature? That would be a big help as you could scan, change IDs, then scan again until you have the right setup. Or if you have a PCI slot and access to an Adaptec controller that has the feature.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Purely a guess, but I would think the 6-pins on the end are ID0-ID3, START CMD, TERM PWR EN. I'm also guessing the one pin jumpered is the START CMD.

In the same tack as suggested by Ed, note where the jumper is on the end, remove it, then jumper just ONE end pin on the 12 position block. You'll either receive a SCSI ID of 1 or 8 (I'm not sure which ID bit, 0 or 3, is most-significant bit) or an ID of 0, in which case you jumpered TERM PWR EN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back