Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jump Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

owls

Instructor
Oct 10, 2002
US
I am a teacher who just started a job in a new school with very outdated computer labs. We are still using Windows 95. I need to be able to store a website that I am managing on a jump drive or some other similar usb storage device. From what I have seen however, I am not sure that any of them work with Windows 95. Is this true, and if it is, are there any storage devices sold these days that are still compatible with Windows 95 (external cd-wr, zip, etc..)?

Well the catch with Win95 is to make sure you have version B (OSR2) or later. Previous versions of Windows did not support USB, and would only be able to use a parallel port or network connection to a backup device.

Even if you do have the right version of Windows with USB ports, there's a slight chance that newer USB devices won't work with it. Windows 98 fixed a lot of issues with USB 1.1, and many manufacturers tend to require 98 or later.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back